laptop help needed

David C

Got my daughter a laptop for xmas,she's been using it on mains via the AC adaptor. Problem is, the battery is running down despite it being used on mains, recharged it twice already.Is this normal as the manual is very vague on this matter. Everything seems to be connected properly according to the manual.Never used a laptop before so any help welcome.

Thanks

Dave

the psu usually keeps the battery topped up :confused: .if its still using the battery maybe the psu isnt working ,this happens their made by the million so not tested its cheaper to replace the odd one than test them all :) to test the psu (carefully please) get a torch bulb rated for a couple of volts above your psu output and (carefully remember) put a bit of wire in the central hole in the plug, hold the bulb body against the outside of the plug and hold the wire against the central terminal on the bulb ,if it lights then the psu is fine ,it matters not to the bulb if its dc or ac output :) although the ac may be duller

[ 28. December 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The battery charges up ok & the charging light is on when we're using it on mains (which is normal according to manual), I just dont understand why the battery should drain when we have'nt used it.

Thanks for your help, I'll ring the dealer tomorrow,just wanted to be sure before I rang them.

AHH its discharging whilst its off ,maybe instead of shutting it down your putting it in sleep mode to see just hit a button and it should come back on , if so its sleeping and still using power (albeit far less than when its on) :) there maybe a button to switch it really off somewhere :)

[ 28. December 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

as far as i can see my laptop uses no power at all when its sleeping

it is ,the processor is quietly ticking over just waiting for you to tell it to wake up and ofcourse all the various busses that monitor the buttons or periferals that tell the processor you WANT it to awaken :)

hopefully the battery is a nimh :) if its a nicad :( then it will need a complete charge up on its first use to get it fully working otherwise the dreaded memory effect is used :( .i wonder if the charging light goes out?

[ 28. December 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

I looked at that Chesters, its definately shut down properly, charged the battery last night, turned it on this morning & it showed fully charged, then she used it (on mains)& the battery drained while she was using it, took about 2 hours to go from 100% to 40%. Yet the power utility says its running on mains.

very strange :confused: i suppose the web site doesnt mention anything ? , if the battery is a very small one then 2 hours use is quite good on battery ,doesnt explain why it doesnt recharge on mains though :confused: unless the psu isnt a mains adaptor but just a recharger for the battery the laptop may be using more power than the psu can supply :( best to arm yourself with all the facts before you visit shop ,the biggest shops will happily sell you a pc but tend to blast you with worthless techie "stock quotes!" to explain everything hoping youl leave blushing and appologetic and leave them alone ,read carefully the specs and remember if it isnt doing what they say it can then get your money back DO NOT let them "fix" it months will pass and much money on phonecalls spent ,i know from experience :mad:

hopefully the pc if from a "reputable" dealer and not a vague badged model from the web as they tend to cut pc`s to the bone to make them cheap ,upfront the processor specs are good but the rest is basic :(

for instance i have just bought a 400w power supply for mine its a third of the weight of my "amd approved" 300w one ,although in electronics terms small is better not when it comes to windings , track dimensions and the ability to cope with abnormal conditions in this case big is beutifull :)

[ 28. December 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]