Bounce ?

MrWiggly

Along with a lot of people, I use "Mailwasher" to filter out Spam from my EMails.

This programme has a "bounce" facility, which I understand sends a signal to the Spammer that your EM Addy is no longer active.

But .. Some people say that the very act of doing this alerts the "Spammer" .. which then invites even more spam !! :mad: :mad:

So .. To Bounce or not to Bounce ..

:confused:

What say you ?

The Older I get .. The better I was.

The whole point of bouncing mail back is that it tells the sender that the mail cannot be delivered because the email address is invalid.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Two arguments I have heard against bouncing are;

a) If the Spammer has a similar programme to Mailwasher, you could be seen as a Spammer and your outgoing emails could be compromised.

B) The message that is received by Spammers when you bounce their email, shows your ISP No.

Now, I have no evidence that either of these is correct, possible, plausible etc.

I repeat the points for what they are worth.

Have a look at; http://www.computercops.biz/forums.html

They have a section devoted to and supported by, Mailwasher.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Bouncing also effectively makes you a spam generator as well since you are adding useless emails to the internet.

Many of the bounces will be to an address that was spoofed by a virus as the sending address of some emails so you will send the bounce to some poor schlep who had no idea what is happening since he/she never sent the first one.

Better IMO to just let them die.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's my idae too Newt! The spammer is only interested in live accounts. I.E. ones he gets a reply from to the address he has hidden, or fr4om the numpties who send messages telling the nice man that they don't want any of his nasty messages again!! RIGHT!!!!

Turn off the Bounce in options!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))