I gotta get to the 'Big Easy'

Dave H

Dave, I just spent several hours on utube watching that band. Fascinating to be able to trace their origins from a scruffy bunch of seriously talented buskers (trousers with holes in and shoes with no laces) into a real slick fully professional outfit.

Some wonderful moments, like when she invites the old fella with the jews harp to join in.............didn't he do well :)

In my teens I was in a skiffle group..tea chest base.......and had a go at the washboard as well..........I can still hear the drrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rat a tat drrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rat a tat, and best of all, the shuffling sound of the teenagers jiving on the wooden floor of the local village hall. National service broke us up, but we did get to play the interval at the Savoy cinema during a Chris Barber concert.

Heady days :)

Den

PS, last time I played my harmonica it started my dog off howling :)

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I just love YouTube, definitely one of the best sites on the net. My son has just taken up the harmonica, he's quite the musician, trumpet, guitar and now the harmonica. Luckily old Rox is stone deaf so no canine chorus ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Dave, I just spent several hours on utube watching that band. Fascinating to be able to trace their origins from a scruffy bunch of seriously talented buskers (trousers with holes in and shoes with no laces) into a real slick fully professional outfit.

Some wonderful moments, like when she invites the old fella with the jews harp to join in.............didn't he do well :)

In my teens I was in a skiffle group..tea chest base.......and had a go at the washboard as well..........I can still hear the drrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rat a tat drrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rat a tat, and best of all, the shuffling sound of the teenagers jiving on the wooden floor of the local village hall. National service broke us up, but we did get to play the interval at the Savoy cinema during a Chris Barber concert.

Den

I have always wanted to play the washboard...LOL

What many don’t realise apart from very talented musicians is that Early Jazz was the father of ALL music no matter whether it’s rock n roll or Country.

Fats Waller was a legend and Louis Armstrong too and that really is to mention just a few many might no.

Scott Joplin was in my view incredible to play and wright music even before the great war. When you think what the black musicians such as these had to suffer after the Great War and yet still shine through is awe inspiring. Many played for a $ a night between them or nothing at all until many whites started turning it into Dixieland music

A pub near me on Sunday lunchtime has a live jazz band that has played for over 30 years. Two things i looked forward too on leave and that were my family and that pub on Sunday lunchtime.

Scott Joplin...Many might recognise the music from ‘The Sting’

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Big Scott Joplin fan here, but just to be pedantic that is ragtime, not jazz. Also I don't think that Bethena is in The Sting.

The Entertainer is, as is Solace, Easy Winners, Hooker's Hooker, Luther, Pine Apple Rag and the Glove.

I think my favourite Scott Joplin tunes is Maple Leaf Rag

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Yes you are correct it's ragtime i kinda stuck them all in one group...

Great tune :)

If any of you ( or you may have been) can get to Ronnie Scotts nightclub it's a great evenings entertainment. Get your best whistle on. It has at times all the makings of the 20's sleepeezies.

Just be glad it's not Chicago. I went into a similar club and felt a bit uneasy let alone sleepeezies...LOL

Edited by Dave H

Lots of people do the same

I love Scott Joplin on a player piano, it's as close as you can get to hearing him play live; many of the old piano rolls were cut by Joplin himself; It's a shame that a lot of people who own player pianos can't or won't hire a piano tuner from time to time.

Den

They are coming over to England on tour next year :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rude song :) :) Erika and Tuba skinny on Royal st..

had a look on google for the lyrics to "you gotta give me some"

Gonna check out some more of her lyrics.........

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic