Overheating again!!

I know we have had this one before BUT with this present hot spell my machine is merrily switching itself off most of the day. It's an AMD cpu and the board has a heat sensor switch off function.

I have 2 extra fans huffing and puffing but to no avail. I now have the cover off and a household fan blowing into the rotten thing. So far so good.

What can I do other than this?

Would a Intel board and processor be any better [my mates at the computer shop regard AMD as Mickey Mouse cpu's]??

Colin [Right leg is now cooled down nicely, left leg is overheated]

The main difference I can see in Intel and AMD is that Intel likes to charge more and not give you more. I run AMDs and have for a few years now. In the very early days of AMD there may have been some truth in what they said but not recently.

If you have adequate fans in the case, a large enough heat sink on the CPU, and the case filters aren't occluded with dust then start suspecting the power supply. It should have it's own fan and if that isn't working well, you get heat and crashes. If the power supply is marginal for what you run, you get heat and crashes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't know whether this has any bearing. when I bought my first computer (which had AMD), I had no end of trouble with the computer happily turning itself off. I sent it back to the suppliers 4TIMES and had no joy, so asked for my money back. They begged me to let an engineer have one last look and discovered that the fan/s were not balanced properly, causing overheating which kept switching the machine off. They replaced the fan/s and I never had any more trouble.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Well the big fan stuffed in the side of the computer is working fine. No more crashes.

So at least I know it's all down to heat.

I will try another power supply although the one in it at present is more than adequate.

Hopefully we will soon get back to some proper English weather!

Colin