What's wrong with TIME

Lid

Time computers were advertising a well specified base unit in the Sunday mail yesterday. I've forgotten the exact details, but all components read well.

However I've always got the impression that TIME computers are not worth buying. Anyone know why -or are they OK now?

I had a TIME computer a few years ago and whilst the product was good the service was truly awful. Could never get through the switchboard to a technician for help, which was a common feature of TIME way back. I'm told that the service end of the product has improved since and is quite good. However this was my recent experience of TIME, or at least its Old Kent Road and Streatham branches. Went into the first one armed with their latest ad for a top of the range PC. I was told on the phone it was available (without the monitor, which I already had) It wasn't in fact available for another two weeks. The product was not yet on the market, but they tried to sell me a slightly lesser spec PC (which it seems they didn't have either) One then rang around 2/3 shops in SE London asking about PCs that they had in stock, whilst another saleman tried to lower my sights towards a PC (the only PC) they had in stock. The second branch did exactly the same with SW London branches. If you want a high spec PC from TIME chances are you'll have to wait for one. Later that same evening I picked up a really good top spec PC from PC World. In spite of the stories you hear about them, the service was good, the product was good and the price was right. Its a Compaq Presario, about 6 weeks old now and stil I'm impressed.

[ 14. June 2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks for the info argyll. We went into PC world on Saturday at about 5:30 pm, but the staff had had enough and really weren't interested in talking to us and then they shut. There was one decent looking PC in clearance area, but no price on it!

Assuming you went into one of their smaller local branches, it might be worth your while taking a trip into North London and trying one of their bigger branches. Small branches of any computer shop rarely have the capacity to hold much stock. I can vouch for the Compaq Presario though.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I had a Time machine for several years and it never caused me any problems although to be honest it wasn't very well configured when I received it and I had to do a bit of work on it to set it up how I wanted. I had no problems with after service, although the only time I rang them was to get a new PSU a couple of years later when the original blew. Would I buy another from them? Probably not, but that's only because I wouldn't want a 'standard build' machine like they sell.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Time have now joined forces with TINY! To my mind they are two of the most infamous companies ever to spawn a PC!! I personally having had dealings with both companies, both directly and indirectly would NOT touch them with the proverbial!! This also goes for PC World!! The only good thing about PC world is the door OUT!! The staff are in the majority illiterate salesmen!! And the ones who DO know there stuff are so peed off with the clods they are either too busy or too peed off to help anyway!! Don't forget, PC world is Dixons!! And look at there reputation!! And whilst Compaq may make a decent PC they are after all just one company amongst others which sells PC's that will NOT accept parts from other PC's!! (See above) Take the memory for instance, a 64Mb chip in a Compaq will only register as 32Mb in any other PC!! How is that??!! No-one yet has been able explain that one to me!!

Best computer is one which you have made yourself!! Then there is only you to blame!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I buy all my hardware from Dabs . Last PC, a few weeks back, was ordered at 4:30pm and arrived at 7:30am the next day!

Cheap as chips, especially as I only needed the base unit.

hth,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

dabs are good, i've bought some networking bits from them and service seems to be on the ball, never needed technical support from them though so cant comment on that.

Hmmmm, but as with all copanies theer are the bad times!! Mate of mine built his own PC (Again!) and all bits from Dabs. he's a gamer so bought a 128Mb graphics card. Checked out compatability with Dabs and all was ok? Except it wasn't!! Blew the board and to cut a long story short the problem was VERY well known in the outside world and it DID end up costing him a couple of quid to sort it all out! But it took a personal call to dabs and a wait of several hours before they VERY grudgingly sold him what he needed!!

He now no longer (After some several years no longer deals with dabs!!)

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))