disc wipe

kleinboet

dun85, I can think of no other way but to connect to the Internet and then immediately update your firewall and anti-virus before you do anything else. I can't think how you could get those updates on CD before you connect to the Internet.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunc85,

OK so say I run Norton Liveupdate and it downloads and installs all the lastest firewall patches and AV stuff, what exactly do I copy to a CD and where do I copy it back to on a new install? Not being funny mate, genuine question, I would love to know if there is a way to do this.

Norton AV isn't that great at detecting viruses. But anyway, you can do this:

Download Grisoft AVG from the net (free). It will have the latest definitions. Put on a CD.

Download Sygate firewall (also free). Put on CD.

Install from CD onto your computer before connecting to the net. Hey presto, you're protected.

I don't know if you could run Norton by just copying it's folder from 'Program Files' as it has loads of other files in other places.

[ 04. September 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: dunc85 ]

It's a big drain on resources, especially at startup.

It misses a lot of stuff.

It gives multiple alerts for the same file, even though it says access to that file has been denied.

Doesn't pick up many spyware infections, AVG does.

The virus definitions are not updated often enough. They should be updated every day.

I saw a great site "Norton bashing" once, but i cant find it. :-p

[ 04. September 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: dunc85 ]

Silence means kleinboet hasn't done anything - he's too bl00dy scared!

Don't know about AVG though, I've got that loaded and it says I have no viruses yet my computer reboots when it feels like it!

I had avast and liked that a lot.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Kleinboet,

AVG - do you keep it updated?

You say the PC reboots when it feels like it, is there any pattern at all, ie, when running a particular program, or after the system has been running for a while? Do you get any error message at all?

Other pieces of software to help clean your PC, as I would always say that a complete reformat should be your very last option.

ZoneAlarm - free software to protect PC from unauthorised access etc.

AVG - You've got this, just make sure it is updating, and you run regular checks.

Spybot - More free software which can detect and remove any spyware that has been installed on your PC.

There's another one which I can't remember the exact name of, I've got the cd at home, but it is adviertised as a One Click to clean your PC, again another free bit of software. I put this on my PC, ran it, it clears such as invalid registry entries, my PC now about 20% faster than before.

Hope this helps a bit,

Paul