AVG virus problem

jeepster

just scanned with AVG (having got rid of avast as i hate the user interface) it shows a trojan horse infection, (agent downloader) but doesnt do anything about it, or give me the option to get rid of it. should i just just stump up for norton?

Not even the option to put in the vault out of harms way?

I had a trojan ealier today and it is now safely tucked away.

My experience of Norton is that it probably would not have found it in the first place.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Norton consistently missed viruses on my machines that AVG picked up straight away. AVG is more independent than Norton as well as Norton tends to rely on system resources more which usually means it misses quite a few virus variants.

If AVG tells you where the virus is then you should be able to delete the file yourself ?

Don't know why it doesn't give you the option of putting it in the vault, have never had that problem (yet) myself.

Check your settings ?

I assume you are also using a firewall (Not the crappy one that comes bundled with XP) ?

I strongly recommend Kerio Personal Firewall. I make my living sat behind a PC & run a suite of machines so security is vital for me.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

trying to network to PCs but all we get is limited or no connectivity message,does not find an ip address when set to auto tried your advice earlier about finding ip address put it in but still could not see each other,one prob is that there is no gateway.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

i'm using zonealarm, which seems pretty good. anyone know of a decent free firewall for my girlfriends mac which is running os 9.2??? i cant find any free ones at all

Don't even consider using Norton. Their customer service is completely non-existent. If AVG found a trojan, it may have deleted it automatically.

Try looking at Start | Programs and then click on virus vault. You should see anything stored there that has been picked up. You can then delete them permanently from there.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

As Peter said the default settings for AVG are for the program to fix the problems that it finds rather than giving you the option as to what to do with it. Which, when you think about it is quite logical, you're not going to want to keep a virus are you :)

Paul

I did have the same thing with a Trojan a long time ago. This one though was that AVG said it had got rid every time and then it always appeared again! I did get shut by using a specific Trojan remover which I got by searching the particular name on google. I don't know if it makes any difference but it was actually called the back door trojan?!

I also got a Trojan today reported BUT avg could not find it when I scanned?!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))