Cheap wagglers any good?

philocalist

99p and pound shops do straight and insert waggler 5 in a pack: so far the fish haven't noticed the float I'm using cost less than 20p, but I will add that lately there's not that many to notice !!!

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Not wagglers but slightly relevant. I brought a lovely set of 'Dave Harrell' large domed top wire stem sticks. Most of them took less than half the weight printed on them. One didnt need any extra weight at all and one actually sank before even the hook was on the line. All now stored in the bin, and these were not cheap.

Thanks for the input - I've actually been toying with the idea of buying into his range of floats very recently - the range on offer seem to cover most of the bases, and I was taking quality for granted. Hmmmm :doh:

A few comments about floats having incorrect shotting printed on them.

Its only a guide - every float be they wagglers, pole, stick etc etc will be slightly different especially ones made from natural materials, add in eye, whippings, paint, varnish, insert, body and shot which will also be inconsistent.........

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

The Dave Harrell floats I brought were not his current range on his own website. Not sure if a copy as his originals were sold out to MAP

These were all marked up totally wrong, were very large floats that said took, as an example, 10 no 4, but actually took 6. Well when i got to 6 I removed it and changed float. They were a green coated balsa top. I have seen his current range and am tempted myself, if anyone has knowledge of their quality.

Guest bbamboo

Barbelbarmy is right about the Harrel sticks they do not take anyway near the designated shot load.

If you want wagglers buy some peacock quill and make your own, they are the most simplest of floats to make you don't even need to paint them.

I got bought some tackle for my birthday from my work mates. Lovely gesture, but they are not anglers themselves and obviously didn't really know what to get. Some of the stuff was fine, but amongst the treasure trove was a packet of about 6 insert wagglers, unbranded. They were useless, firstly the shotting on the side was on the whole wrong, secondly they all leaked.

I don't think you need to break the bank, but I wouldn't go with the cheapest

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades; these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts". BB

Must be quite difficult to quality control the density of natural materials used for mass produced floats. At least plastic floats can be manufactured to consistent standards.