SIMS 2 and DirectX

darrell.cook

Hi guys, Anyone had experience of this?

My daughter had SIMS 2 for Christmas, it seemed to load OK but then said it could not find any graphics adaters for DirectX 9 ??

After a few searches on the net, it seems this is relatively common. I've followed various replies from different forums ( replies that were given to other people ) but still have the same problem. I think I need two things, more RAM - I have 192 MB. And possibly a new graphics card, current one is SIS 650 ? Anybody think I'm on the right lines ??

It sounds like the graphics card you have doesn't support DirectX 9. And of course, more RAM will make the game run better once it actually works.

Infact, just looked now and it needs 256 RAM.

Look here http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15505.html

as you may not need a new graphics card, just updated drivers.

[ 27. December 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: dunc85 ]

Hi Dunc85, thanks for the reply, I've downloaded this file and it's now showing as a zipped file on my C drive - does that mean it's succesful and my Graphics card is now updated ? or do I need to do something else ?

I've tried running the game and it still doesn't work. I think my card is " on-board " I assume this means it's a cheapy job attached to the main board ?? I've also been told that because it's on board then it could be using some of the RAM and as such my PC may have 256MB with 64 being used by the card.

It's probably pretty obvious that I'm no techy, so any plain speak adise with idiot instructions would be greatly appreciated.

You need to "unzip" the zipped file. Just double click it and the contents will show.

Look for a "setup" or "install" file within the zip and double click it, then follow the onscreen instructions.

On board graphics cards are OK......but for games you would be better off with a dedicated AGP graphics card. More system memory always helps too.

Hope this helps a bit.

[ 27. December 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Phil Adams ]

OK following on, I think my screen seems to flicker now, is that anything to do with the new drivers ?.

Also how much of a job is it to fit extra RAM - is it something that anybody can do ? I guess the first thing I neeed to do is identify the type ? Does the extra go in as well as - or in place of ?

if your screen is flickering you need to go through, start/control panel/display/settings/advanced/monitor tab, then adjust the refresh rate to stop it.probably 75-80 htz could be more or less depending on monitor.

it is very important to know exactly what ram you need as if you have a spare slot or 2 it needs to match what you have.also systems need a specific ram speed for the processor and motherboard.

for how cheap they are a seperate graphics card is best pref nvidia.

they do agp and pci cards depending on your motherboards conections.

look on ebuyer.com the cards start around £25 for a reasonable one. i have an xfx nvidia 64mb tv out card thats run everything i have tried so far.

the ati cards are cheaper spec to spec but i have not used them so cannot comment on there ability.

later guys i`m going fishing

Darrell, try this link http://www.4allmemory.com/

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic