Maxtor HDD

Norrie

Hiya,I've just spent over an hour with Tiggs on the phone ,trying to sort my pc.... I am now on my second Maxtor Diamondplus 9 80gig Hard Drive, that has gone t**s up in under a year,and guess what, the 6 MONTH guarantee is only valid from the day of manufacture,not from the date of sale. :mad: :mad: Seemingly they class 80 gig as "Bottom End of the Market stuff"...Well, guess who wont be buying that rubbish again.... :mad: :mad:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

My Company must get through atleast 40 maxtor hardrives a month of all sizes, seems though most can be repaired, they seem to loose their firmware.

guys in workshop reload firmware, perform a low level format, ship them back out, to the engineers & they do seem to last after this process. (Please i do not work for maxtor)Getting hold of the firmware reload disks from the manufactures is not easy.

Best i can do at present is follow this link, but it is in French

Maxtor firmware

[ 27. April 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: melpen ]

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

never had any probs with maxtor or even samsung ,the problem lies with modern tecnology ,i remember getting old 1 gig (large then) scsi external drives and platter changing ,getting rid of the scored platters (unforseen failures letting the heads drop ,days before auto parking) anyway all this done in the shed,plenty of grease and wd 40 ,they all worked fine for years and i was using 8gigs of drives when the affordable size was 540mb (i love skips).

the problem is the amount of stuff crammed onto tiny platters with microscopic heads ,the slightest bit of trouble causes far more damage ,the faster the platters spin the more damage can be done.

carefull with modern drives though the far smaller chips have far smaller gaps between the chips legs and grot lodged between them can cause strange effects

beware of cheap pc psu's i have seen the result of failure in my work in the workshop at unis with psu voltage regulation litterally blowing drive boards appart if it becomes irratic .

and fast drives make heat and heat in the confines of a pc not good

pc cases get smaller and quieter but in reality should be bigger and noisier due to the heat modern computers produce ,mine is in a full tower ,huge cooler on the cpu another on the northbridge ,two in the top pumping hot air out ,one in the base chucking cold air in ,twin coolers on the harddrive,a mid section blower blowing out (can feel the breeze across the room) and 2 not very effective fans in the gaps between boards ,noisy it certainly is but it doesent overheat :D

most p.c's are fine playing office but stick a new game in and watch that heat rise

[ 27. April 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Maxtor have changed one of my drives twice, both after 2 years use?

Maxtor waranty is 3 years??

Has to be said though a new 120GB drive is only about £50.

And the SATA ones go like the clappers.....

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

a lot of the problems lie with the bios ,try a peek at the manu's website there just maybe a newer version with a drive related patch ,be carefull though updating bios chips can cause problems themselves ,i spent days trying to sort strange things out after jumping a couple of bios versions up,the small print said not to use it on my particular chipset version :rolleyes: going one version down sorted that problem and the problem i had with the original version , my problem was data loss when the drive was 3/4's full so didnt show up from the start

[ 27. April 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson