Drop shot issues

grayson

I'm a recent convert to drop shotting. After a couple of sessions on the Tees - apart from a couple of jacks - I've yet to run into trouble with pike, and the Tees is stiff with them. That said, I've been using lobs rather than lures, and in any case it's foolish to assume that this pattern will continue to repeat itself, considering the limited amount of time I've been using the technique. Incidentally, I'm using 10lb braid with a 4ft, 7lb fluoro leader.

WRT leads. The lower river is extremely snaggy and I wouldn't dream of using proprietary weights. A swivel, a short length of silicone and a masonry nail makes a useful "lead", but doesn't allow easy adjustment of the distance between bait and weight.

The solution was surprisingly simple. Leave the tag end as long as the maximum you expect to need and thread on a rubber bead. Pass the line through the bead a second time to lock it in position and mould a piece of plasticine around it. As well as providing weight, the plasticine keeps the loops from opening up. Obviously, it's a cinch to add or subtract weight as needed, and to peel off the plasticine to adjust length between hook and weight . A piece weighing 7g/ 1/4oz is about the size of a marble and can be moulded to whatever shape you desire. If snagged, all you lose is tuppence worth of plasticine.

Those of us who messed with plasticine as kids will know that when all the colours are mixed together the resultant blend is a nice grey/brown shade, like a wet pebble!

Edit - The hooks I'm using have had their barbs crushed (lobs are held in place with a sliver of red elastic from a postie's rubber band). In the event that I do get bitten off - and it's a dead cert, sooner or later - all the pike has to get rid of is a barbless single and short length of low bs fluoro, and I'm sure it can shuck that off easily enough.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Rod why not just put your nail on the line with two "float rubbers" totally adjustable then. Re the swivels with the "line gripping loop" I don't like them as its just another thing that can tangle/snag. Great for casting into your own leads but pants if added to existing ones and come on even with shipping from the US the "proper" thing is cheap as chips! Maybe next time I get stock shipped over I will ask you lads and get a bulk order put in?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Rod why not just put your nail on the line with two "float rubbers" totally adjustable then. Re the swivels with the "line gripping loop" I don't like them as its just another thing that can tangle/snag. Great for casting into your own leads but pants if added to existing ones and come on even with shipping from the US the "proper" thing is cheap as chips! Maybe next time I get stock shipped over I will ask you lads and get a bulk order put in?

budgie I would deffo be interested in some if you do

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

This is what I allways loved about AN and sadly don't see enough of these days! Great shout John and although I wont be using them for Drop Shot weights they will make great weights for plastic worms as I will be able to thread them on "in line" through the bore!

I'm glad you found it useful Budgie.

That's the thing about being 'old school', (some would call it tight), just about everything I pick up has me thinking, now what could I use that for? I've loads of bits where I still haven't answered that question..yet.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John