RECYCLER help

I have recently been hacked and with help from my isp (after they told me I had been hacked). They where tracked down to a directory known as "recycler", not as you would think the recycle bin where you delete all your old files through, this is different as it remains hidden on some system setups...apparently mine is one of them.

I'm using XP pro sp2 and all is upto date, as is my firewall, av and other spy/malware catching programs written on here many times.

My question is a three part one.

1. How can I make this invisible folder named "recycler" visible, other than browsing to C: and typing the name?

2. Are there any other "invisible" directories on a hard drive? (Show hidden files on C option is set to view all files)

3. How can I stop further intrusion into these hidden areas of my pc? As the processes that where being used by the hackers apparently bypass the firewall etc, because the directory is hidden..

All this has come from my isp who helped me delete these files yesterday.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Hi Steve

1. You can't.

2. Yes, namely IE's index.dat files which keep track of your browsing history.

3. As far as I know, you can't. Recycler keeps track of all the deleted data from the PC, so it must have write attributes. There should be sub-folders in the Recycler directory for each user. It is possible to delete data from these directories.

However, did you disable System Restore before following the remedial advice given by your ISP?

Cheers

Ian.

Index.dat files can be deleted manually under win9x and ME. I've written a small utility that will do this automatically on booting up. If anyone wants it, please PM an email address. I take no responsibility if it trashes your PC. :)

For XP: I haven't tried it, but a possible free alternative to Gobio's excellent suggestion here: http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak2152.aspx

Cheers

Ian.

[ 12. May 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: IanR ]