Anybody clued up on hardware side of the Computer?

Emz

I've had an ongoing problem on my Main PC. Not until a few days ago, did I find the docs, e-mailed them off to the manufacturer (to validate it in its warrantly period) only to get an e-mail back today saying that its outside of it :(

So i'm going about getting the computer repaired myself, but i'm cluelesss on the hardware side of computers.

Problem is, it keeps restarting and re-booting itself up (for no reason at all) and if it doesn't re-boot up, it just flicks off, but the computer is actively still on but the monitor is black (pretty sure its not he monitor, tested that on another computer). When it goes into this state, the only way to get the computer working again is to flick the switch at the back (no doubt f**cking up the harddrive doing this :() and to switch on the computer again.

Any idea's what the problem could be?

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Hi all

emz

Try getting someone to reseat the graphics card if its not onboard anyway.

After time oxide forms around the gold contacts making this play up,plus try reinstalling graphics drivers and use directx to test,if not as jackpike said it could be psu,if its a 300w and its dying try getting a 450w upwards as a replacement(beware of qtech)heard bad things about the actual volts it can handle.

also reseat memory just incase

also if your harddisc has become noisy look into backing your sytem up(photos, files whatever)

check if moniter cable isnt loose even though it seems obvious:)

good luck

i had a board do this every 10seconds so dont buy acorp motherboards stay nvidia or anything just not acorp:)

sg

[ 18. July 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: billy5000 ]

Not sure what board I've got, I THINK its nvidia tho.

Got a 200gb HD coming, got to chuck that into a case to make it an external one and once I've backed up everything, then I will tinker around inside.

Thanks for your advice :)

Will let you know how I get on...

- Emz

Just as a thought, before opening up maybe boot in Safe Mode and see if it still does it, also from the Safe Mode menu select to boot to DOS so no windows apps running .... just to make doubley sure its a hardware fault and not a virus or windows fault.

Gillies

[ 18. July 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

ram ,graphics card, motherboard, could be a virus could be lots of things get an expert onto it NOT PC World wouldn't give them a commedore 64 to play with. try a local pc shop that someone you know has used before. good luck.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I wouldn't touch PC World with a 10ft barge pole!

My boyfriends a computer engineer, so if I can't fix it, I'll just get him to look at it :D

Just waiting for the HD to come (still not come :mad: :rolleyes: ) then once its backed up, just format the thing and I'm hoping that will fix it (if it is a virus that is).

- Emz