Network Probs

Si...

Hi,

I have 3 pc`s connected via a wireless router, 2 PC`s are hardwired and one is wirelessly connected.

All 3 pc`s are running XP Pro with SP2 and all the latest updates.

I`ve been trying to set up the file and printer sharing for the past few days now and I`m stumped with one problem.

I`ve gotten 2 of the PC`s to connect without problems.

PC1 & PC2 are hard wired, whilst PC3 is on the wireless connection.

PC1 = Can view and copy files, but won`t share (sharing is turned on, firewall turned off)

PC2 = Can view, can share and can receive files (firewall turned off).

PC3 = Can view, can share and can receive files (firewall turned off).

File & Printer Sharing is turned on, on all 3 PC`s but PC1 will not share its files, its seen and can be pinged from the other 2 (PC2&3) PC`s but they won`t connect to the shared files when I try to add a new network place on them. I`ve tried the built in troubleshooter without luck, I`ve also tried the online docs at the Microsoft site and other PC help sites to no avail.

All 3 PC`s are configured the same, but PC1 just doesn`t seem to want to share its files to others on the network.

This is what I see when I try to add the pc which will not share into the other 2 pc`s (see the same on both)

add_nw_place.jpg

The image below shows that sharing is turned on, on the won`t share PC

shared.jpg

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I've had WinXP machines connected to each other peer to peer (i.e. not in a domain) and it works fine normally - you do not need a server for a network to function.......Jesus, that concept would obliterate home networking entirely.

Lets look at security instead. My understanding is under the Win2k and XP models (NT security basically), you need to be authenticated as a valid user to access a network resource. In other words, the username and password you use to log onto machine A, must also be the same on machines B and C - OR - user accounts must exist which match the same username/password.

So if you are user GEOFF with password blank on machine A, user GEOFF must also exist on B or C with a blank password. That way XP knows you are a valid user with rights to access the folder AND should permit access.

If that doesn't work, we can step through the rest.

Ian W