• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

something like:

code:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="10;http://www.autumnswebsite.co.uk">  

Should achieve your aims fairly easily, the number 10 means the page refreshes (and thus redirects) after 10 seconds, any value between 0 and huge would work, 0 refreshes instantly IIRC

If you intend the page to rank on Google/Yahoo a meta refresh (can) be quite detrimental (it is seen as a sign of building doorway pages which is a bit of an unethical SEO method of promoting web pages).

I'd suggest using .htaccess redirection (if possible)..

Create a file called htaccess.txt, with the following (can be done in notepad)

Redirect permanent / http://www.new-url.com

Copy htaccess.txt to the root via FTP (i.e. where your index page is). Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.

Ian W

The key issue is to check the server headers when you have put the redirect in place using any of the various tools available on the Internet. If you get anything other than a 301 (moved permanently) then you stand the risk of either triggering duplicate content penalties or risk being removed/penalised for trying to game the search engine (i.e. suspicion of being a doorway page).

Personally I'd go with the .htaccess, and I believe server headers can be set in PHP (meaning that would/could work). However, I do not think the javascript would be a good idea not only because it will probably generate a 302 (I think) but because if your user uses a high-security browser (I have javascript disabled in mine most of the time) it will prevent the code from executing (probably leaving a blank page).

Lots of free advice on this issue at www.webmasterworld.com

Ian W

htaccess is good, but if you are using shared space you bought from a host there could be some problems with this on the server - namely your host may not allow it.

Also think if your host is using a Windows NT based sever, that there may be some issues but I may be wrong.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I used a shared server and can use it. That said I also have Mysql, PHP, CGI access etc for my work, and I appreciate on cheaper packages you might not.

That said, it raises an interesting point in itself about the quality of web space people use for hosting business sites. Really your hosting is essential to get right, and for £12.50 a month you can get pretty good service, support and well spec'd servers etc. However, many business skimp and go for free or very cheap servers, which (frankly) are not much cop...

Ian W