Simon Everett.....safety.

Hi Simon.

The first article in Boat Fishing Monthly was a good one.

Im sure the readers of the Mag found it interesting.

As I said to you via the P.M. it is very important to express and highlight that there are safety issues to consider when Kayak Fishing.

You said you would address the safety issues in your next article.

What the sport dosnt need is Anglers reading the exciting stuff,looking at the pictures, and going out buying Kayaks with no consideration for safety.

The sport is earning respect around the country.

It would be a terrible shame to loose that through ill informed people taking to the water.

Here is a chance for BFM and you, via your articles, to get the message out there.

Just a sugestion, with EVERY article relating to Kayak Fishing, have a box with relevent safety issues for all to see, with a large heading SAFETY FIRST.

It would be polite of BFM and yourself to mention Anglers Net, Anglers Afloat, and Kayak Fishing u.k. Forums in the next article.

All these people have worked very hard for the sport, and deserve to be mentioned.

It will also guide new Yakkers to a place of reference and safety advice.

I hope some other members on here will agree with,and back this topic.

Yakity-Yak-u.k.

[ 11. June 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Great idea Bill. A box out is always a good addition - could have a box on safety and another on other points of refernce. Too late for next one as it has already gone to the printers but I haven't done the third one yet. Lead in times meant that the first two went the same week and the one that is out now has been heavily subbed from what I submitted - they always are to fit the available space! So any omissions are purely by mistake not design.

Hope you all understand that.

Fish catching in the next one (which I have yet to finish.) Then there will be some comparitive "tests" I prefer the term report on different kayaks - something for those still to buy a kayak to guage their own decisions by. First up will be a Scupper Pro TW (stands for Tank Well). I have it on good authority that this very sleek and efficient SOT will be available as an angler version next year.. :D Then we just have to see if will be available over here - it is the French that are driving that decision.

Any other feedback or ideas gratefully received. If you have a story that you think would make a good feature let me know and I'll come along and cover it - you can be famous then like Nifty and his Tope!

Ciao for now,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Yakity,

I'm behind you all the way on the safety issue,

the Tope fishing is exciting stuff but i wouldn't recommend it unless you are totally confident with what your doing, and then only when conditions are perfect.

Better to do something else if the weather is at all iffy.

nifty

I'm with you all the way Yakity, Safety first, fish second, as we start to get more adventuress and paddle further for our fish, we all need to make sure that we have all the safety measures in place, as Prowler has already found, 2 miles out can be a scary place when the weather breaks.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

That is why you need a kayak with more speed and less stability - I am talking the broad beamed kayaks here. The difference between the Drifter and the Prowler would be marked in Prowler's instance - the Drifter would probably still trying to paddle in.

Long and slim is more efficient through the water than short and fat. No way you can get away from it - laws of physics. As you push the water away with the bow it has to flow back around the stern - the further aft from the bow the water returns the smoother the flow. Hence river craft are long and slim so as to create minimal wash - I mean PROPER river craft as opposed to a boat on a river, most of which are out of place!

Each displacement craft has a design speed which is dependent upon her length to beam ratio, at a given speed the boat tries to ride up on her own bow wave - you will notice this with your kayak even, with the 13 it is somewhere about the 5 knot mark from my tests. You paddle like hell and go .5 knot faster.

Safety will be looked at in more detail than just personal kit - floatation/lifejacket, compass/gps, whistle and flares etc. It also goes as deep as mental approach - can you keep cool and deal with the situation when it arises? If not, all the kit in the world isn't going to save you because you won't be able to work it.

It is very easy for soemone who has been brought up with the sea to take little things for granted, because they are automatic. A step back and a look from outside is often very useful - so all feedback and ideas gratefully received.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

YY - sorry but some of your above comments to Simon seem more than a little hostile and I'm confused about exactly why unless you are reacting to something that is not part of any posts on AN.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President