Anchors , bits and bobs

Martin Hurst

The prowler arrived this morning and i'm now like a kid in a sweet shop. Have a mate who looks like he'll be buying too (free paddles when he orders!).

have organised a couple of sessions down the pool for capsize and re entry practice , with a view to being on the water in August. bit of advice from you fellas would be appreciated.

firstly , I have a focus and wondered what the best rack would be?

secondly , can I get away with a concrete anchor , Milk bottle 4 litre or similar or is it best to purchase a 3lb system (what type?)

Online suppliers appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Ok Prowler 13

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Martin.

I'm not that familiar with roofracks but would have thought you can't go wrong with a Thule roofrack for the focus. They can cost a reasonable amount though.

On my Peugot 306 I have a soft roof rack ( soft rax which can be bought off ebay). Its designed for carrying surfboards but works with my kayak too. I have the double version.

I feed the soft rax straps through the scupper holes for extra support and also put 1 inch thick rubber doormats (available from Wilkinsons) between the roof and the kayak to raise it a bit (so eyelets on the kayak don't scratch the roof).

Its not a perfect solution but works well for me. Takes about 2-4minutes to install the roofrack.

If you're fishing in the sea where tide and current play a part I'd go with a small anchor. I use a 3lb anchor connected to a metre of chain which is tied to 100ft of nylon cord on a winder(cord £7.50 from Homebase or B & Q). The chain is connected to the bottom of the anchor and then tied up against the top part using a cable tie. That way if the anchor gets stuck the cable tie will break and the anchor should release from the snag bottom up.

If you use a milk carton in the sea connect some chain to the carton to prevent it from bobbing up and down on the bottom.

[ 21. June 2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Martin,

If you can afford it buy Thule Roof Bars, or see what price the Ford version is, make sure that it is capable of taking the weight of the Prowler, the car manufacturers usually have a maximum weight on their products. If all too expensive try ebay, there is a chap on their selling very cheap, all makes of car.

Anchor wise go for a 3lb (1.5 kg) collapsible anchor, a milk bottle filled with concrete will just drag not actually anchor you, you will need to attach a 1' -2' of anchor chain followed by 100' minimum of parachute cord available from B&Q on a winder.

Try and get the anchor from a local chandlery, cos that's a lot of weight to bung through the post.

If you have to buy one try:

www.marinesuperstore.com

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi martin got my rack from halfords for my focus about £70 dont worry about weight focus and rack are rated at 75KG you might want to use bow and stern straps as well as strapping it to the roof bars as the bars are quite close together I usually travel with 2 prowlers and 1 mambo on mine with no problems I used to get a lot wind noise on the straps but someone suggested twisting strap and that has cured it hope this helps

Hi Martin,

I bought the Paddy Hopkirk roof bars from Halfords for about £65 (roughly) with the fitting kit, and touch wood they've been fine.

Anchorwise, go for a foldaway type anchor. I've got a 3lb version that holds perfectly well without any chain.( which in my opinion is unneccesary weight to be carting around)

On a recent trip it held two prowlers stationary in 2 knot tides and is what I used for many years to hold a mirror dinghy (with chain)

without any problem if you let out enough warp.

Do as Speciman advises and tie your rope to the bottom of the anchor and use a small cable tie to fix it to the top, then if it should snag, a good yank should break the tie and leave you able to pull directly above the flukes. Just remember to carry a couple of spare cable ties.

Where abouts are you based Martin? I guess Cardigan Bay area. If so, could probably get out and have a fish together when your sorted.

All the best

Stuart.

Thanks Nifty , taking my time with this, want to be well prepared when I venture out. I'm based in Mid Wales (40 miles from the coast) and will probably have my first venture out on the Cumbria coast where i grew up and know the tides/currents and just as importantly where those big summer rock cod lie! The look on the old boys face when i pull into his drive with the beast on top should be worth the drive alone!

Ok Prowler 13

Martin,

Like others here I use halfords roof bars and find they are fine. Just picked up an anchor from one of the marinas at Keswick for a bargain £4.40 (cheap enough I thought). Just wondering if any one has got any links that show the rigging from the Kayak.

I've seen one that the chap just clips it to the to the "bracket" next to his hip. I wouldn't really want to be anchored broad side to the current and feel that it is better to anchor from the bow. Any tips/ info anyone?

As for fishing West Cumbria

The mackerel and bass are showing up round here, Bass down at drigg and allonby Theve got to swim past St Bees!!!. Plenty pollack and the odd codling around the head.

I can't wait to get the boat out!!

Took it for the first test paddle on Derwent (very windy) but Am I impressed with it! handles well, easy to paddle and getting back in it in deep water easy enough, not that I plan to be doing that often but you never know. As it is designed for one adult and a little one the little one will love it. Not that many mentions of the sidekick (well non really) but I would be interested in hearing from anyone else thats got one and fishes from it.

Thanks

Dingle

Dingle , are you located in St Bees?? Thats where i'll be giving it a go to start off I think , work permitting. Grew up in the village and parents still there. Fancy a drift over the muscle beds at seamill also as had some nice plaice at low water there a few years ago.

Ok Prowler 13

Martin

Yes I am in sunny st bees!!

Looking at the beach seamill it does look good as does the beach around netherton, plenty of broken ground, not sure how far that goes out though. I think I will be sticking to the beach area first before venturing out around the head. I need to have a chat with a canoeing mate first as I believe there are some strong currents there. Can't wait though as the paddle to Fleswick would be worth it alone aside from the fishing!!