Anchors , bits and bobs

Martin Hurst

Have a word with Jack Saltham(?) , top of the village. He'll put you right about the waters around the village. May still put pots out and I think he does charters out of Whitehaven. Let me know the crack! I aim to eventually have the nerve to fish the heads but like you know that at cetain times the currents can be great! Once saw a windsurfer pass me half way round and met him two hours later walking back from the lighthouse!

Ok Prowler 13

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dingle and Martin.

Just popped in here to say hello, and welcome.

Great to see your doing some ground work before trying an area to fish.

Hope your nerve wont over ride your judgment in tackling the heads Martin.

Get some time in on the water and get used to the Yak you ride, develope your fitness levels, and paddling skills before going for the big one.

Then ask yourself if it is worth doing it anyway? :D

Will you feel comfortable to do it, and are you fit enough to do it, just a thought guys.

Cheers.

YY :)

Hi martin,

Had a chat with a mate who has done a fair bit of kayaking to Fleswick bay from St Bees. He saya there is a current run of about 3KM/hr (verified with other websites - nowt like doing your home work) and obviously depending on the ebb/flood depends on which way the current runs. Either way though it is left and right in relation to the coast not out to the Isle of Man. Wife could be a bit miffed if I ended up over there on my own!! The nearer to the cliff the current lessens. I expect that as you only need to a couple of hundred meters out to be over rough ground and deep water it should be fine weather permitting.

I must admit though without getting out there not sure what a 3Km/Hr run looks/feels like and could anyone offer advice as to anchoring with a 1.5kg grapnel achour probably with some chain? Will it hold and is it safe enough.

Cheers

Dingle

Well for comparison, normal walking speed for an adult is considered to be 4ft/sec which is 1.2 meters per second. If I did the math correctly that works out to 4.3 Km/hr.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks newt. That I can relate too.

Just an aside for those who are interested:

Just had a look at another forum Bass has been caught at seamill this week and I can't get out!! Plenty of mackeral at whitehaven too.

The rock Cod off the heads are about all year , used to fish for them at low water about 30-50yds out in the kelp. Would think that you would be fishing tight in over the boulders and kelp from the yak. Peeler a must !!

Ok Prowler 13

Bung one one, doesn't need to be long, it just helps to lay the anchor down into the correct position, I think I had about 18" above the anchor, I would check but it's still up in Tywny about a mile off shore... bloody tope. :mad:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

No float on the anchor line then Starvin? Bummer.

I have a few anchors decorating the bottom from the days when I didn't use them on mine too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President