Tywyn tope trip

nifty

Nice one Nifty, unfortunately the family and I are booked up locally with a little camping trip, so I won't be able to join you.

Have a brilliant session though, the weather looks excellent, so conditions should be very friendly.

Take care, as always, and catch one for me...oh and if you get a pic or two, all the better...although I can now say that I really do understand the difficulty of photographing a toothy critter when up close!!! :D ...best just concentrate on the fishing!!! :D:D

Tightlines, Art :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have loved to have joined you, but I'm off to Dorset to chuck some fluff for a change.

Be careful out there on your own and if you get a chance could you have a look for my anchor. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi All,

Art, have a good weekend with the family. Will it involve any kayaking or fishing by any chance? The forecast is certainly looking good so I don't think i'll be alone out there. :)

Starvin, I've got the first flushmount in place and it will certainly make things easier now to get any Tope aboard without having to worry about having the rod under my feet. It took me about an hour of careful work with the file to get the required hole shape but it wasn't as difficult as i imagined. I've kept the paper from around the gasket to mark the hole for the second holder as it's a bit more accurate than my cardboard template.

I'll keep an eye out for your anchor, you never know my pork pie might have got snagged up on it :D:D

Speciman, you are welcome to come along any time you like and i will certainly keep you posted of any trips. If you pm me your address and phone no i'll get in touch and anyway i'm hoping to have some photos back in the next day or two including one of your last fish if you want a copy. I've ordered two sets.

Tight Lines

nifty

Hi All,

Can't ake it with Nifty this weekend - I am a bit further round the bay at Pwllelli playing with the fast boats again. BUT, going fishing on Sunday with some chaps who go fishing from their sportsboats - bowriders and treble hooks! Sounds as though I'll need to wear my neoprenes as armour!

Speciman - we, as in the whole family, are going to Towyn next weekend though. Taking both kayaks (the new one needs some mods but paddles beautifully - very much faster than the P13.)

If you can make it up then you won't be alone - I think Nifty is coming up again too. I want to try and get George to catch one. That would give him something to tell his school mates.

If the tope have gone offshore by then there are always the bass and black bream to have a go for.

How did you get on with the smoothound marks? Have you tried the Park Shore yet?

See ya.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon Everett:

Speciman - we, as in the whole family, are going to Towyn next weekend though. Taking both kayaks (the new one needs some mods but paddles beautifully - very much faster than the P13.)

How did you get on with the smoothound marks? Have you tried the Park Shore yet?

Again sounds very tempting.

Providing conditions are right Zzippy and I are planning to fish a tope mark off the Purbecks launching on Monday morning (anyone welcome). The weekend after next its down to South Devon with the family for a weeks kayak fishing and campsite malarky - BUT there is a chance I will come up next weekend :) It's a shame Zzippy will be working at the weekend(I think) as it would be great if he could sample the Welsh Tope Action!

Fished Sowley yesterday which is a shortish paddle from Park Shore and a better smoothhound and stingray boat mark (apparently) -- see other report. Didn't catch target species but its early days. The smoothhound will be in for a while and are good sport. Should have enough time to suss the mark before the seasons out.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Speciman,

the tope have moved offshore. They are still there but spread out and 2 miles or more out - hard work now! In their place the black bream have moved in. Nifty phoned me to say he couldn't get a tope bait to the bottom, the bream were ragging it on the way down. He says there were thousands of them, but not big. There are good bream further out on the reef and the broken ground. Going for bass and bream this time.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thats a shame about the tope Simon. I guess they'll be a few of us ready for them next season though - can't wait! Good luck with the bass and bream should be good fun on balanced tackle. (6/0 hooks, mackeral head, 12 inch wire trace etc :D:D ).

If the sea is as flat as a pancake I may fish Poole Bay later on in the week - smoothhound, tope, turbot, ray and bream are being caught near the rocky patches at the moment.

Zzippy and I plan to drift and fish the Southbourne area close inshore next week(Monday?) for the plaice and chance of a ray or turbot.. anyone welcome :)

[ 12. July 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi All,

I'm not going to give up on the Tope just yet even though after fishing four different marks on Saturday i couldn't get a bait to the bottom on any of them without it being stripped to the bone within seconds :(

After pulling out what's left of my hair i put on a shrimp rig with a mackerel strip on the bottom hook and began catching bream averaging just 8oz a piece with just a couple of nice fish approaching 2lb.

The bream were only taken on that baited hook and considering the amount of fish down there i would have expected to catch the odd one on the plain shrimp. I was catching them in twenty feet of water but at times the top of the trace was still visible when i hooked a fish on the bottom hook.

I think the Tope must have moved away since our last visit allowing the bream to move onto the broken/rough ground in safety in huge numbers because on the four visits previously when Tope have been caught i havn't seen a Bream. Now either we've got to look at fishing cleaner ground away from the Bream or wait for the Tope to maybe come back to feast on the shoals of Bream packed onto the reef.

Any ideas?

Anyway on Sunday I tried a different reef twenty miles down the coast with the flyrod and had just one Bass about a pound on a chartreuse and white clouser, size four. This was on only the second cast to fish that were showing on the surface but even though there were fish obviously still around after i had released him i could not get another pull even though i was getting lots of follows back to the side of the yak.

Cheers nifty.