NW Highlands meet?

spanner

Where are you based Martin? (Hurst)

You are welcome to join us on the Welsh tour.

The scenery isn't quite as spectacular, but the fishing is better!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Llandrindod Wells Simon. A recent new addition to the family is making it difficult to find the time to build on my first trip although if we get a break in the weather next week i'm going to have a short paddle around Borth :D . Still kitting myself out slowly but getting there!

Ok Prowler 13

Nifty goes out from Newquay - you could join hi one day, I am sure he wouldn't mind. we are a friendly lot here - most of the time....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

SM,

I was out for a bit yesterday evening after work and took a few pics of the setup.

ram1.JPG

You can see where I positened the gland to run the cables, 4 of them as the GPS is connected to the fishfinder as well. I picked a vertical surface so it doesn't collect water so easily.

ram2.JPG

Notice that there is another ballmount in the forward cup-holder, that doesn't leak :) , so I can change where I mount the GPS & fishfinder depending on the light for best visibilty, or spray/water or best protection. It also gives me somewhere to mount the camera for self-portaits :)

ram3.JPG

The arms for the rod-holders are different lengths, one std and one long, to help keep them apart. The second set of ball mounts mean I can put two rods on one side if I want.

With the experience of having used this setup a few times now there are a couple of things I wish I had done differently.

I should have put the ball mounts for the rod-mounts on the top of the gunnel and not the inside face. I didn't put them on the top because it was slightly narrower and not quite as flat as the side, and I didn't want them sticking up and getting in the way of a self-rescue. But it means the rod sits a bit lower, and sometimes that has been a problem, especially with the uptiders I use that have longer butts. It also means I can't rotate/adjust the mount through all 360deg because its on a 90deg angle....its just the way the arms fit on the ball and I hadn't appreciated the significance of that when I mounted them. I could move them, but then I'm left with a few holes to plug .... any suggestions?

The std arm for the rod-mount has limited clearance for the rod butt, I would prefer two long arms .... easily rectified but it will cost me.

The sea was a bit rough so I had to stay away from the reefs and keep over the cleaner ground, typically 50-60ft. Stacks of dabs but nowt else, I was hoping for something else to up my species count.

The fishfinder kept showing huge clouds in mid-water but no sign of fish on my hokkais. I guess it was plankton as the water was pretty thick with it in places, so no surprise I didn't see any cod on my lures.

Shaun,

:) I plan on being as safe as safe can be :)

...although Rab figured I must be a thrill seeker, riding motorbikes and fishing from kayaks!

I'd like to get over to LA one weekend, if only to catch your pet eel so I can boost my ABR, so I'm sure you'll get to see it in action one of these days...

Hi Spanner,

Nearly missed those beauties, really nice setup, I've pinched them all ready.

Cheers.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com