Numb bum......... cushion!!!

Yaskalos

Hi All

Having gained more confidence over the past months and venturing further for longer I am finding I get a real numb bum after about 4hrs. Not noticeable whilst paddling but after drifting for sometime it does become quite uncomfortable. I use an OK seat, one of the better ones, but anyone know where I might be able to get some sort of suitable cushion.

Nick

Num bums and piles can be alleviated by the use of my patented, trout fishing seat cushion. There is nothing harder on the soft nether region than a wooden thwart in a boat.

My solution was to get a wheelbarrow inner tube. Inflate to about 10 psi and you have a lovely ring protector! Works a treat.

In the kayak it tends to make you too high though, and you bounce about a bit, like being on a space hopper. This was overcome by buying a camping mat and cutting it to fit the seat area below the actual seat. That does work. So all you really need is a bit of camping mat - a whole bed roll from Halfords for £4 (enough to make about 10 seat bases.

The final way of saving the numb bum is to eat more chips and burgers. Nifty has done this and he says his wetsuit neoprene is enough to save him from numb bum all day - but I thnk it is what is inside that does the padding!

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo