Lakes Meet Up

Mad Yakka

A few of us are meeting up next week at Low Wray Camp-Site on Windermere for an overnight stay with fishing, BBQ and a good chinwag about our yaks.

It's a great opportunity to meet like minded people and get to know each other as well as try other yaks out :) It's a family thing and all the kids are involved so bring them along if you want.

Anyone is welcome to come along for a bit crack on or stay over, we've pre-booked the site and I'll be there from Friday 29th at Low Wray but at the lakes for about a week if I can stretch it that far :D

Looking forward to meeting people, cya there :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can ya post a map link so i can see where it is :D aint got a yak yet but am keen to see some in action are you gonna fish on the lake or is it near sea etc?

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

I know it's too far for you Bill m8 but if anyones over that way or fancies a drive one day it'd be a good opportunity to meet up & try a yak out.

There'll be my Perception Scooter, oLLy's Mambo & P13 as well as Rays and a few more hopefully so there's a good range of toys to play with :D

Hi,

If I can wangle it I may come up for a paddle, pretty new to yaks and haven't really had much of a chance to try mine yet, I also know a few good fishing spots at the top end of Windy.

If you are fishing for pike then I hope you know what to do with them if you get one. There are a lot of serious pike anglers who fish Windermere who won't take kindly to seeing anything they regard as poor handling! Some of the pike in Windermere are very large and can be a bit of a handful lying on an unhooking mat on the floor of a normal boat, I'm not sure how you'd manage one on a yak. It might be better to go after trout, perch or roach.

Also make sure you have a licence because they are red hot about checking up on everything you do in the Lake District.

I haven't had the pleasure of catching Pike from the yak but weighty fish like tope and smoothhound (which are also delicate creatures) can be unhooked and released while in the water. This involves playing the fish until it is ready to come in without making it totally exhausted.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'm not saying that piking from a yak is a bad idea, I fancy it myself. What I am saying is that it should probably only be done by anglers who have experience at handling them. There are ways to do it which are not difficult to learn but probably best learnt on dry land.