Live Bait Tank On A Caper

SpeciMan

The tow behind bait buckets work well.

As for the drag situation, when manouvering over a short distance, not a major problem.

But going back up a drift a fair way, or moving position, just haul the bucket into the Kayak, as it will retain half its volume of water, when you stop paddling, put it back in the water.

Heres a pic of one.

xtrig17.jpg

Areation of the water that the bait fish are kept in is important.

So too is the water temprature within the tank.

If you dont have continual flow through the tank, the water will warm up quickly, and the bait fish will die.

Specimen your design has a through flow of water dosnt it ?

Looking very nice by the way, great job.

YY

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a step further with my livewell today and tested it out in the bath. At full power the outlet tubes can't quite keep up with the rate of flow - however I don't need to run it that fast. I could always add an extra outlet tube or a larger one if necessary. The scupper inlet pipe will need an anti-siphon valve (so I don't have to reprime the pump once on the water) and any kinks taken out. Inlet and outlet tubes will need a screen to stop debris from entering the pump and bait fish from leaving it!.

Inside of livewell - pump, holes for 2 outlet pipes and a bottom barrel tap (used to empty the tank before entering the surf zone). There is plenty of room above the outlet tubes for splish and splosh whilst on the water.

insideafteremptied.jpg

Livewell on the Caper: inlet and Outlet tubes to be tweaked.

oncaper.jpg

Livewell connected up and running:

inbath.jpg

Aerial view of tank.

inbathbirdseye.jpg

[ 17. September 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice one, how many cans of stella does it hold??

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Do those pictures mean that you have fitted a bath to the back of the yak. :D

I'd have gone for a hot tub. :D

Great job by the way. Going back to Newt's point, I can remember on one of the discovery programmes, a charter skipper mentioning the reason why he used a round container it was due to the little fellas going into the corners and dieing, he said that rounding off the corners in a square container did the same job, worth considering if you get a few dead uns when you use it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks Starvin.

I've been thinking about Newts point too and was wondering if a layer of cushioning on the sides of the tank would help.

I don't want to turn the livewell into a mental asylum but padded walls could be another way of doing it. :D In my local chandlers they sell anti slip mats which may act as cushion.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'd give it a try first and see if you get any problems. Are you going to fit some mesh over the inlet and outlets to stop the little chaps getting out or trapped in the pipes.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Yes I will have to fit some mesh. For the outlet holes I was thinking of a little tea strainer but that may corrode. I've seen a pic of someone using a treble hook pushed up the inlet pipe to stop debris reaching the pump.

Glad I've started this thread as its nice to hear ideas from people before I 'permanise' things.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow