fly fishing from a yak

Hungry Fisherman

Whiteshark eh, very apt....!

got a spare yak if you want to borrow it Steve. We ought to go and get some of those bass together. Sent several people out for a ghost tip, so I have a bit!

You written up the pike on fly yet?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Why can't you cast sitting down? "

Hi Simon, no idea, ok kneeling, standing up, sit me down with a fly rod, instant hassle :confused: :confused:

BTW.. what time are you and Nifty launching from Twywn on the 4th, not sure if I'll be fishing early yet, depends on wife and Mother in Law, but I'll be along sometime.

[ 23. August 2005, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Kiyakker ]

Welcome onboard Whiteshark, are you a paddler yet or just taking a look?

See you know that scoundrel Everett already for your sins.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Fly casting from a boat is just a matter of some practice until you get used to it. I learned that way and had problems when I first tried it standing up. Felt strange.

As to dealing with line, you could buy something like This that is purpose made or probably rig something similar for yourself.

Note re multiple flies on a single rig - if one of the flies is a cork-body floater and the fish are shallow enough that you can use a normal sinking fly as a dropper on 1-2 feet of additional line, they don't tangle. Something like this Bass Popper works great with almost any fly that is size matched to the popper.

[ 23. August 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Kiyakker,

probably camp the night before and overdose on Red Bull so as to be able to put in a 24 hour marathon! On the water ready to go at 0001 and pull out after catching the last fish at 23.59 :D

Knowing Nifty, he'll be snoring away at still at 08.30 and finally struggle down to the water about 10 ish! - He'll still catch more than me and be home in time to cook something up for supper!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

need your address simon I have got those jointed thundersticks in now, they have been getting fantastic reviews and we had 13 lovley bass on them last weekend nothing massive but all good fun and returned safely

speak soon off toping the weekend, and a go at anything that takes the fluff!!

speak soon

• 2 weeks later...

PM sent :)

I haven't tried it with flies yet, but I'm willing to give it a bash and see if it can help me with a west coast bass. So far my plugs have only taken pollock but the bass are there.....

One of these days I will SWFF, and the kayak is the place to do it. I just need to learn to cast properly first....