Hull protection for a Kayak

Zzippy

I have just been browsing through the internet whilst busy doing nothing at work :D

I came across this product

http://keel-shield.com/?OVRAW=Keel%20Guard...&OVMTC=standard

Dont know if it would work on Kayaks :confused:

But would save damage when launching over rough ground or beaching on shingle.

Whats your views on this product?

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Drag factor is too great - just be more careful when launching and coming ashore.

If you do have to run ashore look for gathered weed, like I did for Speciman after the smoothounds - the beach was covered in a layer of weed - soft, no damage. OR find sand, but if there are pebbles or stones, or worse rocks, don't beach the kayak, stop and get out in a few inches of water - then at least the kayak is light when it comes on the beach.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon.

I have just found the price too

Nearly $215 for 10 feet.So you could probably double that for over here.

Thanks for your view :)

Zzippy

[ 27. August 2005, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Zzippy ]

zzippy2.gif

Simon Everett:

Drag factor is too great - just be more careful when launching and coming ashore.

I have Keel Shield on my boat. Different situation than with a kayak I know but the stuff is even better than they say on the linked page.

I use my boat as a mobile fishing platform and often run it aground where I want to fish. That means up on to rocks, gravel, sticks, whatever.

Pre-keel shield I put some really nasty gouges in the aluminum hull (and that stuff is fairly tough) in addition to often having a tough time sliding the boat back into the water when I was ready to leave. These days, no marks and it's dead easy to slide the boat off the shore or if there is enough water, to just put the outboard in reverse and back off.

I can't see any way that if properly applied, it would add to the boats drag.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Prevention no doubt is better than cure but perhaps this may be useful for dealing with the deeper scratches and scrapes that fail to be avoided. Looks to be much like the methods employed to repair damaged skis.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.html

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

What about a strip of Fibreglass tape epoxied to the hull, it would be cheaper than Keel-Shield, still have some drag tho, I don't know how it would stick either, PE is notoriously difficult to stick things to.

To repair scratches and other maintenance jobs on my 'yak I use a mini blow torch, it's called a Bernzomatic, got it from B&Q for about a tenner.

It comes with a soldering attachment, fit this, then unscrew the soldering tip..brass doofrey, you are left with a tube with a gauze inside. This gives an intense heat source, without a flame.

This combined with leftover bits from cutting hatches etc will weld most scratches you get. BTW, it's often possible to obtain PE cut outs to use for filling from your dealer, I know Dagger have supplied me in the past. :P