bass and wreck locating

Hungry Fisherman

i aint cought a single bass yet do they even exist in the south / east??

anyone wanna gimme a quick sugestion on how i can expect to catch one lol should i fish around estuarys?

and how do i locate a wreck or interest bottom feature i have a fish finder but all i ever see lol is plain flat bottom no objects that look like they will atract a few fish can you buy a wreck location chart any where??

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

I caught one on my maiden voyage this week. All I was doing was trolling some feathers and a 50g yann over about 20-30ft of water.

I let the yann sink, then gave it a few turns and started to paddle. The Bass hit the yann.

The following day I did the same thing and got 8 mackies instead.

Another thing to try is trolling a Rapala Sliver or a J13 behind the yak in quite shallow water around rocks and reefs, especially around dawn and dusk.

IN estuaries. Try rag on a float just a couple of feet off the bottom. (fishfinders do have there uses) Had 22 last week biggest 5.5lb on 6lb line. Yee Haa.

look at Multimap and try see main channels in and out of inlets etc.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Hungry Bass hunter

I cant comment on wreks but estuarys have been a focus of mine for the last year or at least early and late season (rather than rocky shallow broken ground) during the milder months.

look for strong rips and fish the boiling eddies on the creases.

look at fishing rips and natural ambush points on the ebb rather than on the push--- during the flood the bass (ive met) tend to push on up and past you , on the ebb they will often get out of the top end ,retreat ahead of the baitfish and then nail them on the way out.

hours 2 - 4 of a new tide and hours 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 of the ebb have been kindest to me in the estuary environment

that is a really useful looking website ty very mutch when i sort a yaking partner ill see if i can reach a couple of the wrecks off folkstone

basicly i dont have a gps yet nor the ability toread all the information on the charts so far i click on the red dots that give wreck info but things like depth etc and coloured bits i dont know

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Guest sandpipper

I should`nt be giving all my secrets away but (blowing my own trumpet hare) ive had more bass than i can shake a stick at, a few years back i killed a 12lb bass then to my horror found out it was the same age as me. here`s my tip for you all use s/steal hooks with the barbs removed weave the hook into a fresh clam.(dam why im i telling you this)

quote:

(blowing my own trumpet hare

Is that like nasal hair? :rolleyes:

My only worry re:stainless steel hooks is that they won't corrode.If I've been unable to get an ordinary hook out of a fish then rather than struggle and possibly harm the fish I've just snipped it off as close as poss knowing that the hook will have corroded away in a couple of days.

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Guest sandpipper

hello me (hare) again, thats the reason i squash the barbs in because the hook will work its way out., if you ever get the chance to look in a long liners bucket you will find that s/steel is all they use, im not sure if the sea bass can taste or sense them but your catch will improve.one more point in the last 35 years ive been fishing ive never caught a fish with a hook already in its mouth. hope this helps. tony.

Interesting point about the ss hooks. I have often wondered whether there is an electrical field around hooks which rust quickly - it is an electro galvanic reaction in the seawater after all. Maybe the fish are sensitive to it, hence why new hooks work better than old ones dressed up......

I am happy to use single stainless hoks, I always used them for wrassing off the rocks because they last years - I still have some that I am using at least 30 years old!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo