IRISH TUNA

Simon Everett

Is This one of the little beauties that they have caught off Donegal in the North? Makes that Marlin in the Photo with the Turquoise OK Drifter look like a minnow. Wow! The theory is that these fish come up on the Gulf Stream which skirts Cornwall and Runs up the West Coast of Ireland and shoots round into the North Sea off the Top of Scotland so it may be possible to ambush them off the Kerry Coast too though clearly loads of thought and effort has gone into Catching them off Donegal and equal effort and resources would have to come into play elsewhere. A fish like this could tow you around for days in a plastic Yak as suggested,I like the sound of the '15lb Mackerel' mentioned elsewhere on this theme and I think that one of these 'would do! When they used to fish for Blue Fin tuna in the North Sea they used to follow the Herring Boats and the best takes were at Night just as the last Herring Nets were being hauled to catch the markets in the morning and some exponents of the sport had the angler sat in the rowing boat in the davits waiting for this which was then dropped 10ft or so into the sea once the fish was hooked (nice job!) but Herring Fleets are no more so how to attract these fish in the first instance would be the first thing to consider and I guess that Chumming is the probable solution but likely to attract sharks too which are even more difficult to deal with. Any serious attempt at Catching a Blue Fin Tuna in Ireland from a Yak would sensibly be undertaken in conjunction with the Boys from Donegal. Come on Mr Whippy send your man!

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it was off the Kerry coast that the first tuna of "recent times" were taken off Ireland - but these were Albacore taken 60 -70 miles out.

As far as I am aware the only place that tuna have been caught close to shore is in Donegal Bay - and these are the big Bluefins. I think they have been taken a close as two miles from shore, but probably out near the mouth of the Bay - which is very exposed and nearly always rough as hell !! Was on a boat out of Killybegs once that nearly sank, having had the windows put through by a wave.

I have caught Blue sharks off the north coast of Donegal, only about 2 miles from shore, so perhaps they'd be a realsitic yak target given the right weather. Not as big as porgies, but often bigger than tope.

Moonyakker - Mr whippy's man has suddenly become a boy :D

The tea boy :D:D

I do like the sound of the blues though - they are a good prospect on a kayak. Not too big to deal with and plenty to get hold of.

The small tuna are in deep water and too far off - unless we went with a mother ship (charter boat) and fished close to them. Not inconceivable....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Ah well! Fun while it lasted! Good luck with those Porgies in the Irish Sea, if the wind does not die down there's still that 600lb er off Portland!

KAYAKS:

Yes, and it'll whip you round into the race in double quick time and laugh while you flounder about in the messy water and the pots!

Go on, I dare you to....

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I think its on the other side of the island and more likely to take you on a skittling tour taking out windsurfers and kite boarders!

KAYAKS: