IRISH TUNA

Simon Everett

Just brought this topic across from the picture album - it was getting jammed up.

I think the Kerry area has huge potential for kayaking - a very good holiday too.

You have mentioned the Skellig Islands, but remember there is a hell of a tide runs between Derrynane and the Skelligs.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to find out roughly where these Bonito are running - and what time of year of course.

The other place I was eyeing up for yakking was Cork harbour itself. A wealth of fantastic fishing there. A little further West in W. Cork around Clonakilty, Glandore, Baltimore area there is also fabulous fishing.

Then in North Kerry, near Killorglin, there are big toe close in.

It just goes on and on....anyone up for a trip for a week?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are you thinking Simon??

Me and Kev are looking to travel over next spring for a week with the camper. Would be nice to join up with a gang.

We are going to Dingle as there is always some shelter to be found and if it gets to rough for on the water the beach fishing can be quite good.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi Simon ! Lead on ! Honestly, whilst I love Dorset and Devon, Kerry is Truly Fishing Utopia and the way this thread is developing just tell me how much and when? and I suspect that we'll all want to be there! Swansea-Cork Ferries Here we come! Some time in May?

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Yes, there is a strong tide in the Skelligs area with deep water too. Around 40 fathoms if my memory serves me correctly. I have never fished inside of them though, only on the Atlantic side. There were always a lot of fish that would attract any angler and if shark fishing is an attraction there were plenty of blues when I was fishing there. However, in those days the charter boats returned very few fish so the blues, like the common skate, may have become serverly depleted. I caught a lot of good pollack close to the cliffs outside of Coonana Harbour and that would be an ideal situation for 'yaks. However, I would dearly love to fish close into the western side of Valencia Island. I am sure that the fishing there could be awesome.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

GB - first things first, you must get it right - I DON'T THINK. I don't have a brain. It is an evolutionary defence against Meningitis :D

Swansea Cork only runs in the summer. I am trying to remember when the Tope are in against the beach near Kells - late April/June I think - but then they are in on the Welsh coast too and that is only 3 hours away!

Before setting dates we need to ask about a bit more. The bass are away spawning from April to May. The big ones are still about until about the 3rd week of April, but they can be there one week and totally gone the next - it is a bit dodgy at that time of year.

With the warm water October is probably the best month to aim for - and I bet Swansea Cork has stopped then!

Anyone got any more feedback? I can JQ a ring and sound a bit out, also Kevin Brain in Waterville will know because he supplies the bait for most of the matches - by the way if you are over there and need to obtain bait then Kevin is your man - KB Atlantic Baits, based in Waterville but supplies tackle shops all over. He has 3 blast freezers and does the best peeler crabs I have ever seen - huge! Mackerel, squid, sandeels (last I heard he was the only LICENSED sandeel seiner in Ireland - plenty of others, just none bothered to get a license!) I don't have his number here, but I bet he has a website by now. He gave me a great deal of help when I was down in Waterville having a go for a bass - and doing the new Derrynane Lifeboat for a story.

Let's see what we can get together.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Transport; Pembroke & Fishgaurd to Rosslare run all year round and it's quite cheap out of season.

As far as best time of year to go it deppends on what you want to catch. I know the Pollack fishing is good in the spring but as for the rest I dont know. I'm sure some of you guys have some first hand knowledge and could pick the best time of year.

Anyway we will be there in the springtime and would be up for another sorty later in the year if something does come together.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

hi im interested in know its lazy but if there was a skickied post for tripp planning simply post location acomodation meeting time [dates] and costs ill g along i see idea's but im always thinking coo thats sounds good how mutch

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Guys, Swansea Cork ferries now sail year round see: Swansea Cork Ferries. However, they aren't doing the late deals you used to be able to get (£105 return). Couple of mates sailed last Friday night and paid something like £275 + I think there was a supplement on top(Ouch).

But it beats the hell out of the drive from Rosslare.

John

[ 02. October 2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Captain Black ]

Captain Black - that is the entire point. Swansea is down the Mway - it is a good 4 hours from me, but Pembroke is 7 hours! My other alternative, and the one I usually use, is Holyhead - Dublin, but god it's a tiresome drive to Kerry from Dublin.....all those trucks!

Swansea - Cork is overnight too, so you actually save 2 days (drive down and drive back)by far the best bet. I didn't know they were sailing year round. Very interesting, bass are about on the Cork-Kerry coast right through December and January, just not in big numbers.

The Irish Tourist Board are very good with fishing info - Peter O'reilly was their fishing guru, but I think he has retired. They will know who to ask though.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon,

Yes, I can see the entire point, which is why I 'pointed' out that you can sail all year round from Swansea! The only drawback with SCF is that in previous years, as Autumn set in, there was an ever increasing risk that gales could cause the sailing to be cancelled. However, usually SCF would get you onto a sailing from Pembroke or Fishguard, so you'd still get across (unless it was really bad and those ferries were cancelled as well). Having said that the last cancelled sailing I was booked on would have been about three years ago

Anyway, Simon, couldn't you paddle across on the 'Yak'

John