IRISH TUNA

Simon Everett

ive done the swansea to cork route a couple of times.....i swore the last trip would be the last! rough? you bet!!

Last time i fished around kenmare, loads of pollack etc, really reccomend it.I was fishing from the shore, it would be brilliant from a yak!

cheers dave. :)

[ 02. October 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: captain cojones ]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

Swansea - Cork ferries are the ones to go for if possible.After an over night crossing it puts you just where you need to be.

Traveled from Swansea and fishguard several times.Fishguard was way way to much driving for me in Devon.

Spent a week in Waterville bay Kerry this July ,fishing from the shore with lures for Bass .Only 8 bass, but lost count of the number of Pollock to 9lb .Waterville bay has huge potential for yak fishing,just gutted I didn't take the yak this time . That said, anywhere from Cork to Kerry has great potential for yaks ,plus plenty of sheltered bays.

Spring time can be very hit and miss fishing .

Ireland on a yak sounds great...!

Simon Pembroke is only 1 hour drive from Swansea and the crossing is only 4 hours instead of overnight but as you say you then have to drive from Rosslare to Cork, not nice after driving to the ferry in the first place.

I wonder does anyone do "Fly and Paddle" deals yet :D

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

The charm of the Swansea Cork Ferry is also that you can have a few beers on the Journey over and hit Cork Harbour which is really scenic at Dawn and disembark around 7.30am and be in Kerry for around 10.00am, just adds to the whole Holiday experience. The problem with May is that if you are after Bass that they all have to go backduring that Month. It was shaping up to be a bit rough the last time we went over but they put the stabilisers out (we guess) and the passsage was a dream. We fished Bait (frozen Sand Eel (and Lug Dug from Derry Nan Harbour mostly in Waterville Bay in June at night and that seemed to work better than the Storm -Jointed Thundersticks that we had sourced from the Americans off e-bay the previous Autumn. Try 4 Norskis - Kurt is a good Guy to deal with. Harris's Mean Skippper is however also very effective and shall we say 'very similar to a Storm Jointed Thunderstick - try em in the dark they catch Great!I wholeheartedly agree that Ballinskelligs/Waterville bay seems to be an ideal place for Yak exploitation if the weather is kind and Derry Nan is just Gorgeous. Ireland does not seem to do Campsites in the same way as the UK does so accommodation is likely to be a big issue in planning any Yak Fest. Hoseasons have quite a few cottages in the Waterville Derry Nan Area and they seem quite reasonably priced too, perhaps one with a large garden would be the ticket. I seem to recall that the Pub at Derry Nan offers camping facililities but cannot recall its name. I guess that the first thing to consider is what the Quarry is. If it is to be Tuna that will dictate where one needs to be and if their migration can be fathomed, where? Simon has Mentioned Kevin Brain and I know that he Guides as well as selling and gathering bait and may be in the Know on the Tuna Front. John Quinlan is also good company, a mean guide and far too good a fisherman for his own good and he and his wife run a very popular Fishermans B&B with their own Salmon Beats on the RiverInny see www.thatchcottageireland.co.uk.

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

ooh that thatchcottage link looks really cool i may well be having an extra holiday next year

be worth it just for the guide and saltfly fishing and freshwater fly all that cool

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

What about this baby.

Taken off Ireland in 2001 only 968lb.Should go quite well from a yak me thinks.

Although once hooked you could possibly find yourself 20-30 miles away by the time you land it...

TUNA.jpg