Baited Spooning

Simon Everett

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF - I would have thought that the muddy estuaries would be the place to go looking for flounders - try the upper Blackwater, Orwell, Deben (nice place Woodbridge), or even the Medway should have flounders - Leon is your man for that one he knows that area.

Might be worth you asking on the sea fishing forum - if they catch them off the shore or boats you can get them off the kayak.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

reading some of the post this is defo news to me as in trailing the spoon 1ft or so above the sea bed! ive only ever used them as flatty spoons!

from the the shore! basicaly casting them out and giving them a twitch of a few feet every 10mins! i thuoght it was the action of the blade (spoon) hitting the silt or sand and creating low freqency noise as in other feeding flounders have found somthing ! so best get over and have a look! ow wots this a worm ill have some of that! BINGO! never used them as a low level lure in the way u say! just a thought but maybe thats why u ar hitting the bass and not the flattys? mind ive had plenty of bass with this method!

cut it short i thought they were ther to churn up the silt!

as an arfter thought when i was taking pics of reef fish on my hols i found if i churned up the sand a bit with my hand it was like a beacon for any fish looking for a free meal!

i will defo try a slow retrive with the spoon instead of just bumping it along next time im on the beach!

[ 11. October 2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: geffaz ]

HF,

http://www.londonaquarium.co.uk/info/exhibits.html

Zone 6. :D

There goes mine :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Geffaz - the baited spoon technique was invented (as far as records tell us) as a specific method for flounders and plaice in Poole Harbour about the 1920s.

I have used them for flounders very successfully - this is a popular method right along the south and west coast for estuary fishing - and has been developed like you do for offshore banks and shore fishing too.

Flounders will come up and hit the spoon very hard - but it does need to be close to the bottom, not necessarily bumping along it. I have seen flouders jump in the summer - and I have had them take the spoon on the surface when retrieving to rebait!!

It's important to move the spoon in the direction of the tide though - go with the tide - partially across is fine, but NOT AGAINST the tide. I don't know why, but for some reason they don't like it. This is what I was told as a boy, so have no reason to question it!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

sound ill defenatly give a few slow retreives along with the bounce method next time im on the beach!

"the most sporting method of taking flounders is with the baited spoon, the originator of the method being Mr JP Garrad. Anglers owe a great deal to this gentleman, for his patience and his extensive experiments which soon began after the first world war...

...the principle behind the baited spoon is that the flounder, watching the wobbling spoon passing overhead, mistakes it for another flounder pursuing food, and overcome by hunger or curiosity it swims up to investigate, and soon seizes the tempting baited hook."

Derek Fletcher - "Sea Angling"

Some people believe that the flattie sees the spoon as a tiny flattie making off with some ragworm whilst others think its just the rattling and disturbance of the spoon which attracts Mr Flatties attention. Until they develop the ability to speak we'll never know :D

[ 12. October 2005, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow