kayak for lanky?

geffaz

cheers marvin i might hold u to the offer so watch out lol!

simon ive come back sopping from roach bashing at the local pond so no worrys ther i just take it as a necessary evil!

realy like the look of the prowlers! but would the prowler 15 be better as its just a few inches bigger! as a first kayak i wont to get it right first time , also ar other colours freely available or is it gana be a long weight to have one shipped over (if they do other colours) as id prefer to be in somthing bright and visible as ill be fishing alone most of the time!

[ 12. October 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: geffaz ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree about the Prowler 13.

Two potential issues with the p13

Leaky scuppers - if you are unfortunate and get one with leaky scuppers keep returning it till you get a good one

Neoprene hatch cover - can be hard work getting back on so people don't tend to use the front hatch at sea (not that you should anyway). However if you are like myself and want to access to the hatch whilst at sea and in calm conditions get the gasket seal instead of the neoprene cover.

Bear in mind that the P13 is by far the best selling kayak at www.kayakfishingstuff.com this year and for good reason - its an allrounder being well rated at most things. Quite light, reasonable speed, highish weight capacity etc.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

yeh i heard about that but have been told that that problem is in the process of being sorted!

Certainly try to see a Malibu X-Factor. I saw a huge man working one quite comfortably last weekend. Not only was he paddling it with ease, but after dropping into the water, he was able to get back onto it easily with no suggestion of it ever rolling while he did so.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I've just read through this thread and got a bit alarmed by some of the replies!

quote:

Leaky scuppers - if you are unfortunate and get one with leaky scuppers keep returning it till you get a good one

Your statuory rights give you the right to return faulty goods for replacement and if no good then refund. If a replacement item is also unsatisfactory (faulty) then I would DEMAND my money back as well as all costs involved!

As for ppl not taking Prowler hatch covers off 'cos they can't get them back on at sea etc. Isn't that health & safety issues ?

I know one thing & I've been in a Prowler 13 too but there's no way I'll be buying one if thats the crack on :confused:

On the other hand, these Malibu X factors & the like are on the go & a few of us have been drawn to them but I'm gunna see Santa before I splash me cash with all these dodgy goings on

Andy I hear what you're saying but if you reread this thread the scupper problem is from a bad batch. OK are aware of the 'crack on'. I'd bet that in 3 months time or so when the older stock has been sold (perhaps longer now its getting out of season) this issue won't arise as much.

I agree about the neoprene hatch cover if its too hard to get back on they shouldn't have used it - however from a health and safety point it was over designed to keep water out whilst on the water. OK are aware that some people do want access to this hatch whilst on the water and are offering the gasket seal instead.

Bear in mind the P13 is a new model. I'd wager all kayak manufacturers have some teething problems when lauching new models including Malibu.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Yes but you are trying to spot holes on the inside of a tube when the only view you have of the tube is down the tube, not from the out side of the tube cause the outside of the tube is the kayak

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

I may be the only one, but I happen to prefer the neoprene Cover on the hatch, yes mine is a lot easier to put on than some others that I have seen.

The gaskets have been available through one of the American suppliers for a while now, $20 but quite frankly I like the fact that the hatch stays dry, I get no water entry at all, to use the hatch with out the neoprene cover or gasket would be madness as the lid barely fits the hatch without the cover.

JRT I agree with your point on shop inspection, if you were to buy a windsurfer the shop would check all fittings everything would be unwrapped, sails, boom, board and these would be checked thoroughly, all screws tightened and fit of accessories checked.

This really should be done with all the kayaks sold, I know they can't check for Scupper leaks, but they could check for the obvious, tightness of all fittings, checking fit of flush mounts etc. they do have a responsibility to their clients.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

doshkadog:

Yes but you are trying to spot holes on the inside of a tube when the only view you have of the tube is down the tube,  not from the out side of the tube cause the outside of the tube is the kayak

Nothing could be simpler than checking for leaky scuppers! All you have to do is to plug the bottom end and fill the tubes with water. Leave them like that for an hour and you will soon know if they are leaking. A company set up to look for such faults could probably do it much quicker with compressed air.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.