Recommend a PFD?

Ollie Summerfield

The kayak has arrived and I am off to Dorset a week on monday to have a go. The only piece of kit I still need to get is a bouyancy aid. Important features are comfort, visibility, good flotation (I am 100kg) and lots of pockets would be good. What do you guys use or recommend?

Thanks

Ollie

[ 15. October 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Ollie Summerfield ]

Hi Ollie,

I got a fladen pfd,someone was promoting them for a while here.Very pleased with it.

I got the version with loads of little pockets which are very useful for storing all your swivels,hooks,snips etc..

I paid around £35-£40,

cheers Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

I got a delta pro v70, very comfortable and good value at £60. Available from White water consultancy http://www.wwc.co.uk

DeltaProV70.jpg

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Ollie,

Like Martin says, try a few on, sit in a Yak with a seat and see how if feels, had a Yak somethingorother, but it was a pain to get on and off, now use a Palm Adventure, with twin front pockets, one of which holds my six pack of flairs, all in all a much more comfortable experience, easier to get on and off as well.

Try before you buy.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Ollie,

The Palm models are very good - and British. The Fladen is also very good - and has nearly as much buoyancy as the Palm (55 newtons) - the collar on the Fladen is nice - comfortable. Plenty of pockets for bits and pieces. Very good value for money.

The Palm has slightly more buoyancy and is better made, a little more money and worth the extra. You pays your money and takes your choice - buy the one which FITS YOU the best - we ae all different builds etc - trying o is vital to get it right. Buy the right one first time - cheaper in the long run.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

ollie,got a palm touring with twin front pockets,it is really comfortable,don't forget that unlike a wetsuit that you may only wear in summeror a drysuit that you may only choose to wear in winter a PFD you will wear all year long so save your money and buy the best,you won't regret it

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks alot for the opinions.

I think I might order a lotus mildwater PFD as I like the idea of it having a mesh back to not interfere with the seat and they are well reviewed ( ok....and I like patagonia gear).

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRO...=&promo_cat_id=

I get to try the prowler 13 tommorrow but with the windy forecast it may be just a leak test (please no leaks) rather than a paddle test! One dealer told me the problems were all in the green ones but I am not so sure.

Hoping for the unthinkable dream- a boat with no holes.

Ollie