Lucky First 2 Casts!

AlderneyBassman

My point is that limits sholud be set according to the areas and the sustainable fishery available to that particular area.

Agreed. Just need the decision makers to do something... and something sensible taking consideration for all parties.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY THE HELL IS IT OK TO CATCH A FISH IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO SCARE IT **** LESS PUT IT IN AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE IT CANT BREATH AND THEN LET IT GO AND SAY YOUR ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY?????? THATS CRUELTY AS SPORT.

I EAT MEAT, I EAT FISH, I EAT WHAT I CATCH, IF ITS THE RIGHT SIZE, THATS THE POINT IN FISHING.

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Dosh,

I think youre making more of a general "is angling cruel?" point there m8 which is one that can only be adressed by scientists.

How do you know all the fish you catch are sizeable enough to take?

Or DO you just take the chance and put your head in the sand when youve scared a few schoolies.

You'll be chokin on the stuff when bag limits come in.

I EAT MEAT, I EAT FISH, I EAT WHAT I CATCH, IF ITS THE RIGHT SIZE, THATS THE POINT IN FISHING.

Err... the challenge, the sport of catching fish on light tackle, being out there, learning about the ecology/environment etc.

In short if your sole purpose of going fishing is to fill your freezer then why not become a netter? The point that was being made in most of the previous threads is taking a fish for table is one thing, killing everything you catch is another and is simply not sustainable and hypocritical when we are putting pressure on commercials.

Also SHOUTING DOES NOT MAKE YOU RIGHT!!!

JRT

Err... the challenge, the sport of catching fish on light tackle, being out there, learning about the ecology/environment etc.

In short if your sole purpose of going fishing is to fill your freezer then why not become a netter? The point that was being made in most of the previous threads is taking a fish for table is one thing, killing everything you catch is another and is simply not sustainable and hypocritical when we are putting pressure on commercials.

Also SHOUTING DOES NOT MAKE YOU RIGHT!!!

JRT

Appologies for SHOUTING.

I find it very amusing that a fishing forum is filled with people complaining about catching and eating fish?? Yes there are rules to be obayed regarding size and as to how do you know which fish you can take to eat. But there are rules about most things in life. It would appear the two (1 +1=2) not fifty fish in question were within the tolourences of the correct size and hence what is the problem.

Do you think it is correct to accuse some one of killing everything when they took two fish?? If he had caught 1 fish and killed it he would again have killed everthing. Does he have to catch fifty fish in order to eat two? Or would he catch 2 fish then go home and leaving the rest of the fish to swim free??

Appologies for SHOUTING.

I find it very amusing that a fishing forum is filled with people complaining about catching and eating fish?? Yes there are rules to be obayed regarding size and as to how do you know which fish you can take to eat. But there are rules about most things in life. It would appear the two (1 +1=2) not fifty fish in question were within the tolourences of the correct size and hence what is the problem.

Do you think it is correct to accuse some one of killing everything when they took two fish?? If he had caught 1 fish and killed it he would again have killed everthing. Does he have to catch fifty fish in order to eat two? Or would he catch 2 fish then go home and leaving the rest of the fish to swim free??

Dosh,

Thats better, but if you read a bit more carefully about whats being said on this WHOLE thread its about a lot more than your "1+1=2 so no problem"

No-ones accused AB of killing everything, as he says he does not take all the bass he catches. However if he/ anyone catches 1 fish every time he/anyone goes fishing and keeps it, then yes he keeps everything. For a catcher/eater to catch 50 to eat 2 is absolutely OK, (despite as you previously implied that the other 48 had been inhumanely scared ****less) but the point of taking prime breeding females out of the gene pool still stands true.

So what! if AB thinks his local stocks are healthy enough to take the hit, whoopee they may well be at the moment, but people like me just don't like to see pictures of dead fish, especially bass, paraded on the internet (or angling monthlies etc) because WE'RE just cruel basstards who prefer to scare them out of their wits then let em go.(!!)

Seriously, the 2 fish in question here aint particularly big for the area either so theres a lot less "WOW" factor anyway, just a shame that theres so many anglers who think a couple of dead or about to be dead bass in a landing net look cool enough for them to say "Well Done m8".

Even if they made ALL fishing illegal people will always catch kill and eat bass, thats accepted. H3ll we all know anglers will always keep fish, its just that at this moment in time with the BMP up for debate we ALL have a real chance to make a big difference to the quality of fishing, and I think pictures of dead prime recreational bass are just what the commercial sector will use against us when the crunch comes.

Rather than turn a blind eye and not look at these forums incase we see something we dont like, namely a dead bass, people like me will continue to try and persuade those that do like to kill and parade bass that its not such a good idea.

It is slightly demoralising trying to get this message across, but wheres a chance of doing some good, we will keep on doing it.

NB.Incidentally I wonder how many of the "WellDone m8's" bother writing to their MPs to ask them to support the BMP. Not a lot I bet, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

I am very afraid I have a slightly different stand point.

"and I think pictures of dead prime recreational bass are just " recreational bass what are they is that a new bread?

We live in a society where our freedoms are controlled to a certain extent. If we really were talking about putting food on the table to survive then my argument would win every time, however I accept the fact we are not and so why is it ok for me to buy Bass from Tesco's but not eat one I catch?

Real question I am interested.

I am very afraid I have a slightly different stand point.

<<< recreational bass what are they is that a new bread? >>>

We live in a society where our freedoms are controlled to a certain extent. If we really were talking about putting food on the table to survive then my argument would win every time, however I accept the fact we are not and so why is it ok for me to buy Bass from Tesco's but not eat one I catch?

Real question I am interested.

No you are right, if you want to eat a bass it IS better FOR YOU to eat the ones you catch, but you won't be able to buy an 8lber in tescos.

Recreational bass?...where have you been? Thats what bass like you and me both catch using those cruel hooks. Thats what we call them these days. Did you get any of the other points? Real question I am interested.

On second thoughts don't bother, your very poor attempt at sarcasm tells us you didnt.

No you are right, if you want to eat a bass it IS better FOR YOU to eat the ones you catch, but you won't be able to buy an 8lber in tescos.

Recreational bass?...where have you been? Thats what bass like you and me both catch using those cruel hooks. Thats what we call them these days. Did you get any of the other points? Real question I am interested.

On second thoughts don't bother, your very poor attempt at sarcasm tells us you didnt.

Oh dear you seem offended why? and why do you shout FOR YOU??

1 So its ok to fish catch as many fish as you like as long as you return them, and as long as you do not take pictures and put them on the net.

2 Its not ok to eat any unless you catch 50 then you can eat two?

If I can't get your points how many others do you think won't?

At the risk of insulting myself and calling myself stupid ranting as often as you obviously have done has got you far to close to the subject to put forward a well explained argument. When a question is asked for clarification I really do want to know of your views.

I, believe it or not was not being sarcastic I was asking why is it better for me to eat one thats already caught than one I catch myself?

Edited by doshkadog