450g/1lb mixed fish such as Cod, Haddock, Salmon, Whiting, Trout, Coalie,

2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley

1 quantity mashed potato

1 egg, beaten

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

vegetable oil, for frying

Method

1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.

2. Put the fish in a roasting tin and cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until opaque and starting to flake. When cool enough to handle, take off the skin, remove any bones and flake the fish into large chunks.

3. Mix the fish, potato and parsley together with enough of the egg to bind the mixture. Mix together carefully so as not to break up the fish too much. Season well.

4. Shape into 8-12 patties, depending on how large you want them to be and chill thoroughly.

5. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and heat the fish cakes until golden brown on each side and heated right through.

6. Serve with tomato sauce, parsley sauce, Watercress and yoghurt sauce or hollandaise sauce.

I never bother to breadcrumb mine I know others do, my favourites are Salmon or Rainbow Trout.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

A tip I got from a fish monger friend was to use coalie for fish cakes as it is a stronger flavoured fish and as such is not lost in amongst the other flavours of spuds, parsley etc. try it for yourself the next time a blasted coalie robs you nice big cod bait.

Cheers

matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC