Unusual Flatfish - Id Help Needed!

a1angler

Hi there,

I caught a wee flattie of just a few oz at the weekend that on the face of it looked like a dab, but just wasn't quite right, and I'm thinking it might be something else. My son took some snaps on his phone and I managed to get them onto my PC last night. I'll try to attach them with this post...

The fish had the same shape lateral line as a dab but was slightly more elongated looking. It was dark olive green on the top, white underneath and smooth on both sides. The eyes were maybe a bit larger than you would expect on a dab and the mouth had small teeth, again that I can't remember seeing on a dab (and I didn't have one handy for comparison!).

The place I was fishing was north of Inverness and bait was mackerel, in case that helps.

So, anyone know what it might have been???

Cheers,

Alan

post-7218-1130336744_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I caught a wee flattie of just a few oz at the weekend that on the face of it looked like a dab, but just wasn't quite right, and I'm thinking it might be something else. My son took some snaps on his phone and I managed to get them onto my PC last night. I'll try to attach them with this post...

The fish had the same shape lateral line as a dab but was slightly more elongated looking. It was dark olive green on the top, white underneath and smooth on both sides. The eyes were maybe a bit larger than you would expect on a dab and the mouth had small teeth, again that I can't remember seeing on a dab (and I didn't have one handy for comparison!).

The place I was fishing was north of Inverness and bait was mackerel, in case that helps.

Cheers,

Alan

I wouls say it probably a flounder. Might be wrong though!

Cheers

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

Hi there,

Cheers,

Alan

If it had a rough spine it is a fluke/flounder

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

If it had a rough spine it is a fluke/flounder

Nope, it was totally smooth on both sides, rubbing from tail to head as well as the other way round and no sign of a rough lateral line. If it had been rough on top, I'd have said "dab" and probably thought no more about it...

Thanks for your help guys, any more ideas???