Unusual Flatfish - Id Help Needed!

a1angler

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the opinions guys, looks like I've not got enough info for a definite ID one way or the other.

For what it's worth - its thin sharp teeth were definitely there but don't show on the photo. I wish I'd splayed out the tail, but I didn't so we don't know if it's square or rounded.

I'd like to think I'd caught a halibut, but since expert opinion is divided, I'll call it a "possible halibut or sick/deformed/hybrid dab".

The only way to be sure is to go back and catch another one :-)

(co)incidentally, I've just seen photos from another angler fishing the NE who caught a similar mystery flattie recently and it looks like the same thing...

Cheers,

Alan

absolutly deffently A dab, I have also caught loads of dabs and I have also caught loads like the one in the photo, I think it's just a pigmentation abnormality, though I don't fancy eating one.

I fish to live and live to fish.