Lure Rod Help Pretty Please!

Phil Adams

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well :)

I'm itching to get into lure fishing, but I have no idea what type of rods to be looking at; i.e casting weights, lengths etc.

I dont mind using a longer rod of maybe 8-9ft ( i think I would prefer a longer rod) but what casting weight range should I be looking at for general lure fishing?

Also, can ayone recommend a good but sensibly priced multiplier for lure fishing?

As you can see Im a tad lost lol, so any help will be greatfully recieved :)

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a lot of rods out there phil, but my initial reaction would be against using a longer rod with a multi, the longest rod i use with a multi is 7 feet and thats as long as i would want to go. why do you want a longer rod? imho shorter rods are much more suited to lure fishing with a multi, the only problem being on rivers when you can't cast to the spots you might want due to vegetation in the way.

the only reel i'd recommend would be the abu 5501 in any of it's various guises, available on ebay from £25 and virtually bulletproof.

for rods on ebay, check out a seller called deepinvader, he has a range of rods, all at good prices. i and others on here have bought 6'6 abu multi rods from him for around £25, they're great

That said I use a 9' 30-60gm heavy baitcasting rod for my sea spinning both in the UK and the tropics and I find it useful for steering lures around rocks Mangroves etc.

I use the Badger Sounion 304WL which is excellent for the money and has not let me down.

look on: http://www.badgerinternational.co.uk/reels...aitcaster.shtml

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks guys

I like the look of that multiplyer, good value even if it dies after a seaon or two.

Ive been looking at the Greys Prodigy baitcaster 7ft 25-75g rating, would that be ok for UK course and light shore work? "Designed for multiplyer use bass style......for all light to mid range predator fish"

p.s is the abu 5501 avaliable in left hand wind?

Many Thanks

Edited by Phil Adams

the 5501 is left hand wind, with abu multis, if they have a 1 at the end they're

left hand, and if it's a 0 they're right hand.

how much is the badger reel? not sure why you'd want to buy a reel you know will die after a couple of seasons when you can spend 25 - 30 quid on a 5501 which will literally last you for ever

blimey, just followed the badger link, i have 4 5501's and none of them have cost me that much! a fool and his money and all that ;)

So that would be an ideal multiplier for me, but what do you think of the rod folks?

Hi,

i've just got a greyflex 11 footer, i haven't used it yet as i only got it this morning infact the tides coming in now so i might nip out and have a stab at the bass. I must admit the rod looks and feels superb. I would much prefer a longer rod myself.

If you look on ebay there's a 9 ft greyflex up for auction with the same seller i got mine off. Well worth a look!

Tigger

Ive been looking at the Greys Prodigy baitcaster 7ft 25-75g rating, would that be ok for UK course and light shore work? "

Many Thanks

75g, you could cast a jack russel with that ;)

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

It sounds just the job to me for a medium heavy lure rod. Greys have a good pedigree too. Break it and they'll replace it. Go for it

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'