Floater Fishing Challenge!

Julian

Hi all,

Myself and a few mates are having a floater fishing challenge where we are trying to catch carp off the top in each month of the year. Last night I managed to bag my first ‘October’ floater fished carp off the top so am well chuffed. :)

Furthermore, it was a new surface caught PB at 24lb 4oz! B)

Over the moon!

Full details and pics in my Anglers Net Blog: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...owblog&mid=1734

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice surface carp :) .

I had the odd carp off the surface throughout all of last winters months, so it's not impossible. Nothing in that class though :(, only averaging about 6lb, but a nice change from the bits of winter. October generally produces fewer but better than average sized surface carp at my local venue. They seem to rise sporadically all around the pool to investigate the fallen leaves that are floating around. I didn't do too badly last November with surface carp either. It probably does depend a lot on the venue if you can catch them off the top in the colder months, though.

Thanks Guys,

Dave, good to know you’ve had success through the winter months, gives me great confidence knowing that others have managed it! Were your November captures (and all winter captures for that matter) on dog biscuits or did you have any other floating baits in your armoury that proved successful in the colder months?

just caught my personal best carp on floating bread for me no other fishing is better than watching a carp taking your bread or dog biscuit

Now try it on Fly tackle it's a lot of fun!!!!!

Nice catch!

This mild October weather definitely has its advantages :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Dave, good to know you’ve had success through the winter months, gives me great confidence knowing that others have managed it! Were your November captures (and all winter captures for that matter) on dog biscuits or did you have any other floating baits in your armoury that proved successful in the colder months?

Julian, at this venue my preferred surface bait is floating crust, and all the colder month fish were caught on this. I did have a multi carp catch at the end of last November on crust, but this was on an ideal day, calm and sunny, and the fish were basking in the remains of a weed bed by an island. The odd fish in Dec, Jan and Feb were all caught on crust in the last hour of daylight, when there was finally some response to the loose crust that had been thrown in. [i use mixer and fake mixer extensively at Mill Farm, Gilmorton (only mentioned this because I know you've fished there) but have more confidence with crust at the other local venue].

I did manage 3 carp to 8lb+ on crust last Saturday afternoon, before the wind and ducks made life too difficult.

Interesting point about the last hour before dark, this seems to be the case on many waters. I wonder what lies behind it; maybe the carp feel they ought to have a look at what’s on the surface just before bed time!?

Yes, I’ve had some fantastic sessions on Mill Farm, just a shame he stopped the night fishing (although I can understand why) as it’s too far for us to travel just for a day.

Yes, it's surprising how much surface activity there can be on a calm winter's afternoon as the light fades. The roach are also active at this venue late on, often dimpling the surface.

Actually it was the change to not allow night fishing that made me start fishing Mill Farm. As a short evening session fisherman who doesn't like it busy or noisy, it made it a much more pleasant place to fish. Fortunately I can see the old mill from a bedroom window, so I don't have the travelling problem :).