Floater Fishing Challenge!

Julian

November target achieved!

Spent a few hours stalking on Saturday and managed to catch my November fish off the top! Took quite a while to get them going and eventually I had to go after them using stalking tactics but was well pleased with the result; four fish banked to 14lb 12oz and also had three missed chances.

It was a great days fishing. Tried the bottom pool’s for the last hour before dark and got some very funny looks from anglers fishing conventional set-ups, a few said I must be mad but as most off them seemed to have blanked for the day, I took great pleasure in telling them of the four fish I’d banked. Not so mad after all, eh? B)

Write up: Here

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

All except me, it would appear! :(

Bar an overnighter first weekend in December I’ve not been able to wet a line since. I had pinned my hopes on nailing a December fish during the Christmas break but as it turned out everywhere was frozen solid throughout – gutted. I spent three days driving from water to water but all to no avail - could not even smash the ice it was that thick!

Ho Hum. Will just have to wait till December to complete the challenge in full. That said, I’m eager to get out and have a go at a January fish now. Conditions as I look out of the office window today are perfect; bright, sunny and no wind – shame we all have to work, eh!

I’m hoping to have an hour or two free at the weekend, by which time it will be Arctic conditions again no doubt! :rolleyes:

Yes, looking at the perfect weather conditions in the Midlands this afternoon and comparing them to the Christmas blizzards, an earlier post should have been "I predict that December will be the hardest month."

Good luck for next December :).

Had my first crack at a January kipper off the top yesterday. Conditions were overcast but pleasantly warm for January and no wind to speak off. It was tough – bloody tough! But hey, that’s why it’s called a challenge I guess!

I picked a water where I knew I would have it pretty much to myself as I thought a roving approach would work best. I started feeding three different areas of the pool for well over an hour but nothing. There was just one other angler on the lake who caught a small mirror at around 11am which at least gave me hope that they were still in there!

I persevered and at around midday saw the first carp swirl on top as a mixer disappeared - could not believe how the confidence suddenly lifted! The only problem was that it was a mixer well into a set of snags where it was impossible to get a bait. I kept dropping them into the snag and within about fifteen minutes had about five fish taking. I slowly drew them out but it was hard work. The rod was ready right at my side and then all of a sudden – with no warning – a lovely linear scaled mirror of about 14lb appeared no more than two feet from the bank to take a mixer that had fallen out of the catapult! I stayed completely motionless and fed it three more before slowly reaching for the rod – at which point it spooked on something (not me I don’t think) and dived headlong back into the depths of the snag taking all the other fish with it.

I moved to another spot I had been feeding (close to more snags) and after about half an hour managed to get a few feeding. I cast the bait perfectly and let it drift right past their noses – at which point I saw a set of lips engulf the hookbait at the first time of asking – before promptly spitting it back out before I had time to strike – Boo. :wallbash:

That was about it for the day. More fish took baits as the day went on, but only from well into the snags or from a bay that was well out of casting range. I left a little bit frustrated but definitely not disappointed – at least I got them feeding which gives me great confidence for the next session.

The sun never really broke through either so hopefully I’ll get a chance on a sunny day before the month is out, which should get a few more moving on top. Also, the session was made all the more difficult as idiot me forgot to take my Polarised Glasses so spotting them was a nightmare in the overcast conditions!

Next time, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave.

How has the fishing been when you have managed to get out. I havnt been out at all, have concentrated on playing rugby (and drinking beer) instead as its been too cold when i have had any free time. However i have a nice new stalker rod and reel to christen so im looking forward to grabbing a beasty off the top in the not too distant future.

Hi Dave,

Not been able to manage a session since. :schmoll: Little one is due in about 7 weeks and there is much still to be done around the house.

Had made plans for a quick overnighter last weekend but when the time came all the lakes were frozen solid!

Julian