Prowler Problems

Ollie Summerfield

Unwrapped my new Sunrise Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 and it looked great. I was planning to leak test it before the maiden voyage but thought I would have a quick look at the scuppers first. Aaaargh- the right side seat scupper has a 2-3mm hole and a another thinned area of plastic . No point leak testing. Called the dealer who spoke to Johnsons UK - apparently they are now withdrawing all of the current batch of Prowler 13s, and new ones from USA will be 2 months or so.

I called Andrew Dron at Johnsons UK who was very apologetic and keen to make things right. He said a factory software problem with the cooling cycle had caused this rogue batch.

The boat has gone back to Johnsons and I have been refunded but this meant I wasted my time off work and probably the last chance this year for a fish which is pretty annoying.

Before I spoke to Andrew I thought there was no way I wanted another OK but I feel reassured as to the customer support and I now need to decide on my new purchase. At a dainty 6'4" 100kg (220lbs) my choices are limited and I want to keep the boat as portable as possible. My choices are

1. Perception Freedom (used to be called Swing in USA): old layout but well proven and well built. Seemed very easy to lift with the moulded in handle. Well priced (£325) as bare boat- I would add one hatch for £40.

2. Tarpon 120 or (heavier) 140. Generally well reviewed but no local dealers to London/ Dorset that I have found.

3. OK Caper. Light and Portable, maybe a bit slow. On US sites people weighing over 300lbs have said the boat works well for them.

4. Wait for the new watertight P13

5. Wait for new boats like the Cobra Marauder

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hope this is of some use, I will add a picture.

post-7259-1130705910_thumb.jpg

Ollie,

Sorry to hear of your plight. :(

If you would like to try out a Caper or Prowler 13 give me a shout, I'm based in Hampshire and fish the south coast. You could still get that bit of fishing in before the cold weather hits.

Have you also considered the Prowler 15 or Drifter, both available in Angler Editions if required.

Give me a shout.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

thanks for the info ollie i to am of the same dainty frame!

tho im putting buying the kayak on the back burner until next spring!

Sorry to hear of your woes Ollie, but you are right to keep an open mind about OK - they do give a 3 year warrenty on their kayaks you know and their customer support is brilliant - as the winter is drawing in why don'y you wait until a while until things are straightened out? Or are you thinking of fishing through the winter?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Ollie if you want a quote for a Tarpon 120, Woodmill Canoe Centre in Southampton can supply them and other Wilderness Yaks. Had a look at one at the Southampton Boat Show, nice yak, strong etc. but still didnt come up to the OK range when it came to fishing. Also much more expensive despite not being as suitable for fishing. £700ish rings a bell. Don't have any more contact details but u should be able to find them in the book. :).

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

We picked up are new p13 October 24th it looked great and Jackie

Found it a lot easer to handle than my p15.

Anyway way after landing it on the beach I noticed a lot of water in side, :( I was running out of time so we put it away, I decided I’d better cheek it this weekend and sure enough there is a hole just like the above photo I know Brook bank canoes & Kayaks will sort it out and we will replace it with another p13

They are a fantastic kayak and would recommend them to any one :D

john