How To Leave An Isp

Peter Sharpe

Does anybody know a foolproof procedure for doing this? I am currently on a Wanadoo Anytime package and want to leave Wanadoo to take up the Tiscali 2Mb broadband package. I know Tiscali have their critics, but my girlfriend has signed up to it and is very pleased. By way of contrast, Wanadoo seem to try every trick in the book to prevent you from contacting them and some of their customer service operators are ignorant and very rude. I have heard of people who have had a terrible time when trying to cancel from Wanadoo and there seems to be a very strong body of opinion that advises against ever signing up with them in the first place (under the old guise of Freeserve they were never any trouble at all). I have been totally unable to get through to their phone line and refuse to spend hours on the phone and run up a large bill just to cancel with them. I have tried emailing them, but you can only do it via an online form. Strangely enough, out of the multitude of topics they ask you to pick from, none of them involves cancellation. I have been advised that you should never just cancel the direct debit, as it will just be farmed out to a debt collection agency. Has anybody managed to quit them painlessly.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Do you have a contract with Wanadoo?

Are you on Broadband with Wanadoo?

If you have a contract with them and it is still in force .............you got no chance, you will have to finish the contract with them first.

When your contract comes up for renewal ...........decline, put it in wrighting, and ask for them to release your telephone line from broadband,also get in touch with your telephone provider to cancell any broadband line.

I had to do this 2 years ago..........with another ISP.

They got you over a barrel with this broadband thing....................they just dont release your line for any other ISP......................TW**S............................

Only other option is to get a second telephone line in and waite untill contract finishes.

36_1_28.gif

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

I am currently on a dial-up connection and I feel sure I have never signed either signed a contract or even seen one. Wanadoo just took over from Freeserve without me doing anything. I don't remember having a contract with Freeserve come to think of it. I will see if I can find one on their website, so I may have to report back in a few weeks.

Incidentally, when I clicked on the quick reply icon on the previous post, it came up with a quote instead.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Firstly, if Peter was an original Freeserve customer (and for that matter still on dialup) the chances of still being in contracted are slim to none. Wanadoo (in their present form) have been running well over 12 monhts, and contracts are not (generally) issued annually i.e. once your 12 months is up your contract then becomes a rolling monthly contract as it does with SKY TV and the like - it is not renewed for 12 additional months.

For anyone on broadband with an ISP and wanting to switch. Leaving an ISP once you are on broadband is now simpler than it was say 12 months ago - however - still slightly problematic. To ensure no disruption to service FIRST ring Wanadoo (or your current ISP) and ask for a MAC number. Ring Tiscali (or your new provider) and give them the MAC number. They should then be able to transfer your broadband on a pre-arranged date without any (noticeable) loss of service. Note if you are under contract you will not be able to move.

I was doing a bit of research yesterday for my sister and Pipex are doing 2MB ADSL and 8 hours of free phone calls all for £14.99 - it has a low transfer allowances at 1GB but for an ebayer, forum poster and the like it -should- be ample (and additional bandwith is less than £3 per 3GB).

I use Tiscali, have done ever since Broadband was available (pushing 3 years probably) and cannot fault it. The 2MB is a bit of a joke, but then it is with -all- providers. I can download at about 90k now, and previously at 60k on a 512kb line, so clearly not a '4 fold' increase - that's what high contention ratios and a poor upload/download ratio do for you though (this problem is apparent amongst the vast majority of ADSL providers).

Edited by UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk

Ian W

type in freeserve in your browser, go to members area YOUR ACCOUNT, change account details & cancel, on-line.

Then cancel payment with your bank.

You will get a letter from wakanoo, stating that they could not get payment, in the letter will be a direct telephone number,call them explain that you canceled.

This is what happened when i canceled with wikachoo, & went to Tiscali

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Guest @AUTUMN@

Probably not something people here would agree with but get down the bank and cancel the direct debit. Dont pay them. If they threaten court action tell them your happy to discuss thier s***e customer relations policy with the judge and any reporters present.

I thought I would give their phone line one more try, then just as I was about to hang up - it was answered - by a real person. At first I was told that unless I wanted to lose all the remaining days I had already paid for, I would have to phone again on the day before the next payment was due. I couldn't stand the thought of trying to get through again, so asked if it could be cancelled on the spot. I was then transferred to a supervisor, who told me I could use up the remaining days that I had paid for.

It's a tricky business tyying to decide on a broadband provider at the moment, except that BT seem to be ridiculously over expensive for a capped service and must have one of the world's worst corporate websites. I know that the so-called 2Mb speed is a figment of the imagination, but surely it has to be significantly faster than the 1Mb versions. At least Tiscali do not cap the downloads. I will let you know if I have blown it yet again. Knowing my luck, Tiscali will be taken over by Wanadoo.

Guest @AUTUMN@

Bt Sucks.

Mail servers often dont work, limited downloads etc for a lot of money.

Try ntl (crap customer relations though), or I here virgin(contract free) and car phone warehouse have good deals. I assume if your after 2mb you do a lot of downloading??? If not dont waste your cash as BB is not so much faster than dial up for simple internet browsing.

If not dont waste your cash as BB is not so much faster than dial up for simple internet browsing.
You must have cr*p BB or incredible phone exchange! Broadband makes huge improvements on browsing, especially these days with fully loaded websites.