Servicing A Centre Pin

Alan Stubbs

I was given a centrepin by a friend who can no longer fish, and as it hadnt been used for around 10 years, it isn't as free-running as it could be, and the ratchet is pretty ineffective.

It's a Free Spirit Searcher, but can't find where I can get it serviced.

Any info, please.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I can't claim to have ever used them, Alan, but this lot look as though they might do a good job:

http://www.milltackle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cpins.htm

Thanks Dave,

I was tempted to open mine up and use some of my mother's sewing machine oil, but as mechancisms and I are not natural acquaintances, I'd sooner let someone who knows what they're doing have a go and pay them. It's cheaper in the long run!

I don't have a Freespirit centrepin but it could just be some grit thats preventing it from spinning.

If it has a normal type release to the spool just take it off, clean the spindle and the inside of the spool and try again, I have some old match ariels that are always getting grit into them, give it a go.

Is the spool distorted in any way, like wobbling, if so thats a different matter and should be left to an expert.

I don't have a Freespirit centrepin but it could just be some grit thats preventing it from spinning.

If it has a normal type release to the spool just take it off, clean the spindle and the inside of the spool and try again, I have some old match ariels that are always getting grit into them, give it a go.

Is the spool distorted in any way, like wobbling, if so thats a different matter and should be left to an expert.

There's a little bit of wobble.... maybe 1 - 2mm, but I'd also like to get the ratchet looked at.

My 'pin looks as if it's a copy of an Aerial, but the shape of the hub leads me to believe it houses a BB.

Here's a pic: http://www.walkersoftrowell.com/reels/freespirit.htm

Edited by Alan Stubbs

the freespirits used to have a common problem with thew centre spokes and drag system,i'll have a look in my data files as i've a bit about how to sort it out,

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

the freespirits used to have a common problem with thew centre spokes and drag system,i'll have a look in my data files as i've a bit about how to sort it out,

Thanks a lot... that's really appreciated.

Alan

"

Pretty reels those Searchers. Shame they have the reputation for less-than-perfect quality. Whether it's really justified I don't know.

One of our UK pin-experts bought one for about £30 secondhand, cheap because it didn't spin well. He found the problem, fixed it, and it runs really well now.

The problem is that on two of the spokes there are "clasps" (excuse me if that itsn't the correct term for them).

Anyway, one of these clasps is spring-loaded and can be adjusted to push against the spindle to create a drag (or can be backed off completely).

The other pushes into a groove in the spindle and stops the spool from coming off. On his reel, he found that this clasp was actually permanently pushing against the spindle. Some fettling with a file of some kind stopped this happening and the reel started to spin well.

I'm sure I could have described that better but there you go!!

"

(i carn't remember where or from whom this info came from as i found it on the net and saved it)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks all,

I was in a tackle shop in Hindley this morning and their service engineer opened it up, cleaned the inside, added a little lubricant and tightened the reel foot whilst I shopped.

In comparison to how it was, it's nigh on perfect.