Two Lost Lads

maverick of Poole

i remember one day while out on patrol (coastguard) we got a call to a person who had fallen out of an inflatable boat, we were going along the sea wall with blues n two's on and there was a chap in front of us just sauntering along he had no intention of moving for us! even after we told him where we were going,

we did eventually get past him! unfortunatly we were to late. i oftn wondered if it would have made any differance had this chap not been there, we did look for him for awhile but never found him! i do belive he has just joined this forum!!! nuff said?

Were you in one of the 4x4's? I would have driven over him... some folk just think of themselves... or just don't think. :angry:

Unfortunatly I've seen this a lot when out in ambulances and with the fire servive, some do it for fun :angry: , some just don't know how ro react when something running music and lights is there.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more sobering note, have the coastguard found any trace of either of the kids yet? Did`nt see anything in the Sunday paper except a shoe belonging to one of them having been recovered.

Hi Stan.

I have been listening to 2CR FM whilst at work.Neither of the 2 young boys have been found yet.I think the search for them has been stepped down.

As for numb nuts(nikusnakus) I think his IP address should be blocked from useing this site.

I think you are probably on the right track Norm.B,But I wouldnt say he was a school kid though,probably from a local nut house that has been given a pc to use in the Communial room.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

On the local news they said that coastguard/police divers are now looking for bodies.

What is sad about nikusnakus is it appears he/she registered purely to post a reply on this thread.

I am new on here and find all the different views/opinions interesting with some being thought provoking. It is normally good to hear others points of view but in this case I would go along with Zzippy and ban nikusnakus IP address

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

This is very sad and my thoughts are with the families. When I first heard, I thought it said the lads were fishing, but it says playing in the report at the start of this thread?!

I quite agree that commonsense should be used, but even in good conditions you can be swept in by a freak wave or ferry wash so why don't we wear our life-jackets even in good weather and conditions then? Is it just that we think it's too nancy boy/girl to do so?

Edited by Lid

so why don't we wear our life-jackets even in good weather and conditions then? Is it just that we think it's too nancy boy/girl to do so?

I wish I knew why. I don't think it nancy, I just never seem to get around to putting it on, even though I mean to do it. It needs to become a habit, like wearing a seatbelt.

Do not think Nickusnackus will be around for too long,his card is well marked now.

Yes as we all know the sea takes no prisoners :o Have been dumped into the briney on a couple of occasions over the years and also had a few "close ones" whilst river fishing. Safety should always be your first concideration when fishing. Was fishing with the tack family at East Tarbet yesterday and the kids were catching a few wrasse,getting excited and jumping around the rocks at the waters edge. Poor Andrew was past himself on a few occasions with them.

"Get back"

"Do as your told"

"Do not move"

"Get away from the edge"

Actually seen two anglers die in front of my eyes about 15 years ago.Was walking past Cullercoats harbour one December morning. It was a right blizzard and very choppy. Four anglers had launched from the beach in a small boat :o

It had overturned just past the piers and when I got there seen the lad of the party staggering out of the surf. The RNLI launched their inshore boat but it was that rough their boat was overturned and they were dumped into the sea.

The rest of the RNLI were trying to chuck lines to those in the sea from the rocks,a total nightmare :(

Eventually a seaking helicopter arrived from Boumer and picked out the anglers/lifeboat crew. Tragically two of the anglers were dead :( (oh dear I appear to be crying)

It is something I will never forget. There is a lesson for us all to learn,respect the sea,never take chances,when in doubt do not launch etc etc

As our young friend pointed out it could be "tuff titty" for any of us if we do not respect the sea!!!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

A very tragic tale indeed.

When we were kids everyone wave dodged. I'm assuming its the same now.

Kids think they are immortal.

I was really sorry to hear what has happened. I have no answers to stopping it in future. I made my kids watch it on the news and told them how dangerous the sea is, but sat in fear as I knew the chance of them taking any notice of me was slim.

Same here; I always worry when my kids out on his bike, know that its best for him to get the freedom, and yet also know just how bloody dangerous the roads are now, and how easily distracted kids are.

When I was about 14 a few of us used to go night cod fishing at the cliffs north of Arbroath. Thinking back it was all very hairy stuff but we never saw it that way. I guess my parents thought it was all very healthy, but some of the ledges we used to use bring me out in a sweat now. As for the lengths we used to go to to land a fish; runnning up and down slippy 45 degree rock ledges between waves etc....... omg. That said I can still just about remember how bloody amazing it all felt.

Who'd be a parent if they understood what it involved? :blink:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Toward the start of this thread a few commented on how kids can have a false sence of 'i am god' which in turn puts them in danger, which is true.

The sea wont mess about... mother nature has no equals and many people who are greatly experienced at sea/on the shore are caught out regularly. It doesent take much human error in some cases for something to go badly wrong, and staying away from the sea isnt an option for someone like me who is born for fishing!

Perhaps these lads where just in the wrong place at the wrong time? Although i here the weather was pretty rough down south last week.

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun

Another dodgy one is low water marks. I came very close to being a "statistic" once. The one more cast syndrome took leave of my senses :o

I am sure a lot of us have been there before! Go on a few more casts will be ok :(

Always watch your back/retreat/tide :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

think most of us have done stupid things! fishing is a pritty dangerous sport relativly speaking!

and the tragedy of thes 2 lads, should be a lesson to us all! but do we listen really !

they arnt the first and they wont be the last!

stay safe peaple and yous ya heads for crist sake! especialy this time of year wre realy you only have a few minutes in the water before your brown bread!

dont wont to be giving my best wishes to the family of anyone on the forum thanks! ;)