Which Lure Rod To Buy?

crazynewt

Peter - with a baitcaster, I use a sort-of sidearm roll cast most of the time when fishing lures. Rarely ever overhand.

Spinning rod and mostly overhand. Bait for carp & catfish which is mostly with casting gear these days and overhand but with longer rods and my trusty 7000 C3 reels.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The 5501c3 reel, for the money is just great. The one that you suggest, Newt, is, in my humble opinion, technology just for the sake of it! Lengthwise, for me anyway, 7 to 8 foot long.

Re jerkbaiting, you don't need massive baits to go jerk baiting, Crazy Newt. Use such as the Fox Mico jerks, they catch, and you can use your lighter rods.

Newt, you guys tend to use an overhead cast where a short rod makes sense. Us Brits tend to use a side arm swipe where 7'6" is pretty good.

Peter, why is it technology just for the sake of it?

Sorry to say, I have to disagree with you on that one as the Calcutta / Conquest DC reels simply are the longest casting; smoothest running multiplier reel money can buy.

I’m the proud owner of a Conquest 101DC (the Japan edition of Calcutta DC) which has been given the full ZPI treatment and I can tell you no other reel in my possession are capable of similar distances with such comparative ease. Furthermore, the DC brake system allows you to cast into very strong headwinds, which as you probably know are not exactly easy with any other multiplier reels.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdcvslight.html

Wow, what a response!

Let me give you fellas somemore background...

I started my piking back in late 80s/early 90s ish. I was taught (very traditionally) by my dad who incidentally used to fish with John Wilson (infact I believe they used to cheat on their trips to Loch Lommond by going diving first to spot the biggies! Now that's Fish Finding!!).

We used to fish the broads a few times a year but I only really got into in a big way when I met a couple of like-minded friends at high school and spent every weekend on the banks of the river Waveney at Hoxne catching numerous Jacks and my biggest to date of just over 15lbs I believe. Apart from a few deadbaiting sessions in the darkest depths of winter, all of those fish were taken on lures so I would consider myself a 'competent' lure angler! Having only recently re-caught the piking bug following time out for university, working my ass off in London etc, I was not surprised to see that the scene has moved on to a new craze, i.e. jerkbaiting. Being a firm believer that the size of the bait you are using does not dictate the size of the fish you catch (having caught jack pike on lures of an almost idential size, and double figure pike on 1" soft plastics), I would not be looking for a rod to cope with these enormous new jerkbaits, but rather to use the new Fox range of micro-jerks and various other softbaits for example. Does this still require a short rod with a multiplier?

Many thanks in advance for your undoubtedly extensive and insightful responses!

Edited by crazynewt

You don't need a short rod and multiplier to work micro jerks although its a much more pleasurable and efficient experience than using a through action spinning rod and a coffee grinder. What you do however need is a set-up that accurately transmits your movements at the rod tip to the lure, otherwise you cant successfully impart action to your jerkbait. That calls for a fast action rod with braid and fast action long spinning rods are rare...so rare that I dont know of one. If you think about how a fast action rod works then you can see why long fast action rods are not popular. Imagine holding a 10 foot long snooker cue out in front of you whilst a friend pulls down on the other end, its uncomfortable with little give in the middle and tip sections and your friend wins the tug of war everytime. Now take 3/4 feet off the end and put a short soft tip on instead.. a bit like a saltwater angler's stand-up stick. It's a whole lot better and with the right reel you can use it all day without fatigue setting in. If you are sticking with smaller jerks and you want to use a fixed spool reel then a Fooler made to take a fixed spool reel is a good idea.. a friend in Nottingham uses one. Since you seem to know what you're doing with lures, then perhaps its a good time to seriously consider a multipler outfit. In which case my original suggestion still stands. Vidar's view of the Conquest is spot on, but its a piece of expensive exotica that I suggest you keep in mind for the day when the bug really bites and you sell a few more houses..

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'