Toothless

Ian Burrett

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:angry: hey ian why not take mally up in his offer of that rocket launcher!!! :o i know how much this makes you mad :angry: an your right 99% of MPs are only interesed if there getting there palms greased it makes me sick <_<:angry:

Hi Guy

Not all MSP's I recieved the following letter this morning.

The Scottish Parliament

Alex Fergusson MSP Galloway & Upper Nithsdale

Mr Ross Finnie MSP

Minister for Environment and Rural Development Scottish Parliament

Holyrood

EH991SP

7th November 2005

Dear Ross

I write following a meeting with recreational sea anglers from my constituency who have raised a number of issues with me, not the least of which is their continued exclusion from SIF AG. I understand that there will be a revision of SIFAG's membership next year, and trust that the opportunity to correct this imbalance will not be missed.

Soon after its inception, the Welsh Assembly recognised the value of sea angling and invested significant amounts of money into the promotion of that activity within a Sustainable Fisheries Programme. Research shows that £69 million was generated for the Welsh economy on 2004/2005 by 58,687 fishing trips to Wales, of which £27.3 million was directly attributable to the Assembly's campaign.

Furthermore, DEFRA recognised the importance of recreational sea angling and include practitioners as stakeholders in the management of fish stocks. The recent threat to Tope in the South West Scotland, and the destruction of a recently arrived stock of sea bass by scallop dredging in Luce Bay 2 years ago merely serve to highlight the need to include all sides in discussions on these matters.

Clearly there is a great asset here which is not being fully utilised, and I would appreciate your comments on how this will be redressed.

Yours sincerely,

ALEX FERGUSSON MSP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If every angler in Scotland went to see their MP and asked him to write to Ross Finnie then things would happen much quicker.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

All you can do is keep grinding away at them Ian. At least that letter shows some hope.

Proud of you,tack4 and all the rest of you. Keep the presure on. Anything I can do giz a bell :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Sorry to be a pain, I know you are all getting fed up of me tripping you up or peeing on your parades but,

and the destruction of a recently arrived stock of sea bass by scallop dredging in Luce Bay 2 years ago merely serve to highlight the need to include all sides in discussions on these matters.

How did scollop dredgers destruct a stock of sea bass.

I fish to live and live to fish.

So wurzel, you were asking about the long term effects of the dredging.

Any comment on Ian's description of the situation in Luce Bay?

Is he just exagerating it, will the boulders quickly re-orgasnise themselves into a reef naturally, will some other species rapidly move in to take advantage of this new flat environment, or has man created long term damage and had a lasting and negative impact on the ecosystem?

I know where my vote goes, I'm curious how you interpret this.

Morning Spanner.

I was asking because I know nothing about scallope dredging.We don't have them around my patch. I only know that they seem to cause grief with the local fishermen were ever they go.

I can't emagine them totaly destroying the ground beyoned repair, they would all be out of business with in a year if this was the case, there just aint enough places to fish new ground every day, there has been some very expencive large new builds for this fishery, dispite what you think you don't invest that sort of money for one big pay day, I know scallops are valuable, but they are not that valuable.

As for the situation in Luce bay it's hard for me to comment, I just had to look at the map to comfirm to myself where it is, I did not know bream were caught there.

From what you decribe or percieve you would have difficulty doing with a 50 ton Catiperllar earth moveing machine let alone a boat with some rakes on the end of a wire.

If a bream or a scallop is never caught there ever again, you could say the damage was lasting, if a new inviroment has been formed some thing will find it to thier advantage. time will tell.

As John Brennon explained Enghlish law prohibits the scallopers from working inshore, the beam trawlers and I think it applies to all trawlers with more than 300 hp have to stay out side 12 miles.

If this was the case, and I agree it should be , then the more senitive inshore ground like Luce bay would be protected.

I fish to live and live to fish.