First ever

Manxman

When out up the coast this evening in the boat to specifically catch a bass from the boat something I've never done.

Sea was flat the weather overcast just right. I got right close in to the beach over the seaweed and started plugging away and had three bass whoopee!!

Two were about 4Lb the other would have been well over 5Lb. I missed a couple of takes as well.

I've brought the wife a 4LBer home, her first bass to eat ever, I just hope she doesn't get a taste for it as she'll be disappointed.

Well done, I don't catch many bass and every one is a thrill, they look so mean in the water. My most memerable fish last year was a bass, warm sun, flat calm and miles out. Not huge but just looked gorgeous. You brought back memories! Enjoy the table fish too, I'm not too partial to them plain cooked as its quite a strong taste, but roasted Mediteranean style with tomatoes and herbs and stuff is delish. Can I ask what plugs and how deep were you fishing compared to depth of water?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

The boat was in about eight foot of water over stoney ground, I could cast the plug I was using just about onto the beach.

The plug I use exclusivley these days is an Aile Magnet SB, it's a popper.

Available from Harris Angling but pricey

Dexter do a look a like at half the price but I've been told it needs a bit of tuning with fine lead wire.

Thanks, sounds more like a job for a kayak than my Trophy! I'll have to give the plugging a go some time.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

hi john

been up tonite, thought you may have made the effort, ya missed a brilliant night, had twelve bass to 5lb all on the magnet popper, they were going mad for it, steve had 5 on the fly, a muddler type.but the sad thing is i lost my popper as i had a snap off with that dam fluro so that is going in the bin!!!

will call in for a brew.

paul..

Well done Manxman and Manxlad - you are certainly having more success than me when it comes to bass.

Can you tell me some more about the Duel Aile Magnet SB ? I bought one recently, but havent had a fish on it yet, so I do not yet have full confidence in using it. Apart from not catching anything on it I am very impressed - it certainly looks the dogs bllcks and casts 2 or 3 times the distance of a conventional plug (handy in the constantly windy conditions we seem to be having)

What pattern / size are the ones you are using ?

It must be great to see a bass actually hit a surface lure - hopefully something I will experience soon...

Hi MF I use the 18grm Magnet, the larger one doesn't have anything like the action of the 18 and I have yet to catch on it.

I tried the bigger one when I'd had two fish on the 18, fished for an hour with it and had nothing.

I changed back to the 18 and pretty soon had another fish.

Dexter are making a look a like Magnet at half the price, been told they work just the same, but they need a bit of tuning with lead wire to make them sit in the water right.

I'll have to have word with Manxlad and see if we can arrange an outing next time the tides are right.