Remembrance Sunday.

slodger

I always take myself off piking on this day. It's nice to sit somewhere quiet with the rods out and think about those poor souls that have been lost in conflict over the years. Afterall, we wouldn't be out there enjoying ourselves if it wasn't for them. Many people paid the dearest price possible for our liberty. Spare them a thought tomorrow.

God bless them all

“At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them.”

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Agreed.

My late Father served in the Observer Corps and, in that capacity, went to Normandy. The American gunners weren't, just as now, too sharpe at identifying friendly aircraft, and Dad was on a U.S. flak ship to advise.

An Uncle of mine was a p.o.w. in Japan, not much over four stone in weight when he was released.

Both saw much that they could never forget, and just maybe did not want to forget.

As a kid I shall always remember a cod fishing trip out of Lowestoft, when it used to be worth going. The two minute silance had just started when both their rods started jumping. Neither would strike, such was the meaning of that two minutes silance.

Not much to ask, just two minutes of our time.

Edited by Peter Waller

too many people my age dont pay respect to the people that have died to keep there freedom like at school on friday the bell went to sound the start of the 2 minutes silence and they continued to talk saying what did those people do for me i think its disgraceful and i shall wear my poppy with pride

Well done Zenith!

It's refreshing to see a considerate youngster, and you're right, it is a shame that your school friends don't feel the same. Perhaps understandable to a certain extent though. What is unforgivable are the hordes of people of my age that don't care about remembering those poor people. :(

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I read Rupert Brooke's well known poem in church today, The Soldier. He actually died in the Great war so his words were very prophetic.

'If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is forever England'

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal