Devon Fishing Meet Report.

musket

Bill, Chuggs

A little stiff, I had a wetsuit, waterproof top and pfd on. stiff I couldn't move, I had to return and ditch the wetsuit top, as for the paddle mmmm, thought I would really struggle having paddled before but I got on fine with it, will probable do a cut'n'shut as per chuggs recommendation.

I really enjoyed the day though.

A couple of observations on my first time out:-

The yak did not behave as I had thought when returning, on a couple of occasions I just couldn't stop the yak from veering sideways in the surf break despite digging the paddle in to correct the swing or paddling one side like hell.

What's the best approach.

Secondly it's a good idea if you capsize to get sea side of the yak not shore side, cos the next wave will put you in again.

Thirdly, having gone in I would definately undo the paddle leash in the surf zone (It's a good job I took chuggs advice and ditched the gear)

I practiced launching and returning for two hours, bleeding knackered on Sunday, what fun though

Maybe the above is of use to any other newbies.

Regards

Flynny

Hiya chaps,

Waht a day you had. Brilliant stuff.

I wish I hadn't gone home on Friday afternoon now. My original plan was to stay down and come from Poole to Salcolmb on the Friday night - but as it was absolutely throwing it down and blowing 7-8 on Friday in Poole I didn't think there was much chance of a decent day on the water (I had just had two wet and windy ones!). Typical, Saturday morning dawned bright, clear and without a breath of wind! never mind, I got a trike shot on Saturday in telford and a truck in Bradford on the Sunday, so earned something to let me go fishing next time!

The spring and summer (May - June) is a good time for Salcolmb too - decent sized plaice and flounders from just inside the bar.

As the saying goes, "I'll be back". Will make more effort next time.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice write up and pics Jon, looks like you all had a good day. :)

I wish I lived a bit closer, because that looks a fantastic venue with some nice fish. Pity about Chuggs conger, that really would have put the icing on the cake.

Well done!