Piking This Weekend

BoozleBear

boozle

definetly stay mobile,try leapfrogging down the canal moving one rod over the other,every 15-20 mins,

could try fishing a heavy block end feeder instead of a lead on ya FL rig,greater attraction and can bring takes quicker,fish with a half bait on the hooks.

i would try sink and draw also as peter said,can be good to fish it past/around your static bait,fish sometimes follow but dont take,a static is easier for em ;)

dont concentrate on conditions so much,more location! if you can find out what the air pressure will be doing around on that day.(bbc.co.uk)

Edited by Ratty Fitzpatrick46

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Unless you know where the good pike spots are on the canal already I would have thought a more mobile approach would be far better. Get some decent lures out and go searching for the fish. If you want to do some coma fishing ;) later at least you might have found some spots which definitely hold pike.

Tim

Unless you know where the good pike spots are on the canal already I would have thought a more mobile approach would be far better. Get some decent lures out and go searching for the fish. If you want to do some coma fishing ;) later at least you might have found some spots which definitely hold pike.

coma fishing! tim...! :P

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

strongly agree with brian, in terms of both rigs and baits. It is always better to offer a range of baits and varying their presentation to try and find out whats working the best. There are always certain days when they will favour certain baits and certain presentations, but there are also days when you will catch whatever you do!

Also keep mobile (as mentioned above) and use lure/wobbled to find concentrations of pike.

With Winter days being short it is easy to do a dawn to dusk session.I would always do this on a new water untill any patterns towards feeding times apear.

Dont think that you have to lure fish to cover lots of water and find the fish. Leap frogging with baits as Rus recomends is a great tactic,especially on long straight cannals and drains.

If there are any matchs on the water see where the winning weights come from at this time of year because where the food is the pike will be.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers fellas. I know a few good spots there so will be trying them first. The good thing is there is several miles of pedunkle territory, so I can do a whole lot of roaming!

BTW I am a Londoner so I will be getting the train down there, so hence the lack of early start. I'll definitely be there at sundown though.

Again thanks for the advice and the wishes of good luck!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Don't trains run early in the City then, Boozle? Certainly do in the country.

By the way, good luck. If it remains cold, slightly windy, yet nicely clear then lures would be my chosen method. Minnows and shads!

However, if it goes grey and 'orrible then maybe a dead or two will be the answer, plus sink and draw, near the bottom with a soft plastic shad.

Edited by Peter Waller

Cheers Peter

Didn't want to lug too much gear down with me but I think the lures will have to come just in case. I can always just chuck a couple of spoons and shads in the bottom of my tackle box.

The earliest train is probably about 6.30am so I would miss dawn by the time I got there (nr Great Bedwyn, Wilts), plus my fishing friend Greg has a family and the wife won't let him out that early, so we thought best go for afternoon and dusk.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by BoozleBear

www.myspace.com/boozlebear