Circle Hooks.

Guest @AUTUMN@

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought circle hooks were for boat fishing where you are feeling for the fish taking the bait. Half the time when shore fishing IMHO the fish could be dangiling on the hook for several minutes before you decide to reel in.....having weighed up whether its the tide/surf pulling on your huge 6/0 loaded with lug squid crab and mussel......weed on your leader/ swivel......... your lead springing loose and bouncing the rod tip as it bounds around in the surf

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Skippy - if all goes well and your rig is working, circle hooks should be self hooking in most cases and while I haven't used them for sea shore sessions, they do well for me in all conditions as long as the fish has a bone ridge around the mouth (as opposed to sucker-mouth fish.

@AUTUMN@ - I can highly recommend both the Gamakatsu and Owner circles. I prefer the Gammy Octopus Circle but since that's what I normally use, it may be just a habit thing. Both brands are chemical sharp right out of the package and I don't recall having any of them fail (break, bend, etc.) with a fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Skippy - if all goes well and your rig is working, circle hooks should be self hooking in most cases and while I haven't used them for sea shore sessions, they do well for me in all conditions as long as the fish has a bone ridge around the mouth (as opposed to sucker-mouth fish.

@AUTUMN@ - I can highly recommend both the Gamakatsu and Owner circles. I prefer the Gammy Octopus Circle but since that's what I normally use, it may be just a habit thing. Both brands are chemical sharp right out of the package and I don't recall having any of them fail (break, bend, etc.) with a fish.

:D Both the Gamakatsu and Owner are super hooks, Gamakatsu are marketed here by Daiwa and I believe they now, or shortly will have, the full range of circle hooks. Mustad now do a range of circle hooks too, I have what I think is the full range. Definately worth trying them. :rolleyes:

I am convinced by the circle hook argument and have bought some of the mustad model but how do you bait them with worm?

I have tried baiting needles the lot but it is not easy, never mind at night with cold wet slimy hands so at the meoment I am only using them with crab and fish baits.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

<_< Read with interest your views on 'Circle hooks'. My experience is not good, dificult to bait with whole squid, imposible with worm, and the hook up ratio is poor? OK, I'm ready to be conviced, they do seem to do well in the hands of some anglers. One of my boat partners was using a 'semi circle' at the week end, I was impressed with his hook up rate and no deep hooks! He had not got the packet with him!!**!!**.

However, they were a destinctve red in colour, and looked like a '?' in shape, eye on the dot, and baited easily. Any one got any ideas? :) Thanks

Edited by CJS2